GO POWER WHEELS

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

GO POWER WHEELS

Post by Phil Riley » Thu May 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi all. I need some information on GO POWER wheels. I am restoring a early 60`s KAVALLA kart and this kart came with these wheels. They are magnesium. I have seen these wheels with a gold or bronze look to them as well as just a plain dull mag. finish. Were some of these anodized or is that just the mag finish? Also Michael Burk ask about a Giant steering wheel, this kart came with a blue metalflake wheel with chrome sloted spokes. Could this have been the proper wheel for this kart? As always any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a safe holliday weekend, Phil Riley.

Rob Voska

Re: GO POWER WHEELS

Post by Rob Voska » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

Mine has a blue metalflake wheel and CT alloy wheels.

Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke » Fri May 23, 2008 2:20 pm

All of the ads that I've seen for Kavalla's show CT Alloy wheels as being standard. Apparently the steering wheels changed depending on the model year. I have kart test articles for three different years. One shows the Giant steering wheel and the other two tests show the currently produced Azusa wheel. I was recently told that the CT Alloy wheels are being reproduced. I haven't been given the contact info for them yet. I was told they are $350 per set and that they look pretty good. The current ones are cast in aluminum.

Michael

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri May 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey, Phil. I, too have seen earlier Kavallas with CT Alloys, as well as later ones with Go Powers. Go Powers were all the not-too-shiny metallic sort of bronzy gold (real technical description :? ), whether mag or aluminum.
Michael!! If you hear more about the repop CT Alloys, please post to REAR! Thanks. Ted

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Fri May 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I believe Will Rogers from the central valley here in CA is the guy that has repopped the CT alloys- I should be seeing him next weekend, and I'll be sure to ask about price and availability and post the info. If you want to see what they look like, I know he runs them on his repopped Disston-powered Hovey Hawks. There are some photos of those karts floating around the interweb if you check out the various kart sites that post photos of kart meets in California.
Last edited by Dean Seavers on Fri May 23, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks, Dean! I hope and expect that they'll be in aluminum instead of magnesium. The old mag units were the lightest I ever used, but the tiny cross-section broke easily. I broke a brand new set with dual open Mc30's on a 1200. Aluminum should help that problem a lot. Ted

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Fri May 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Yeah, I saw the pre-production test shots at the Turkey Trot play day and they were aluminum- I can't imagine the price of having any small run stuff done in magnesium.

Here's a pretty good picture of them on Will's kart from Roger Mulkey's photo gallery:
http://gallery.mac.com/mulk3d#100030/IM ... olor=black

Dean

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dan Flanders » Fri May 23, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Phil-
The closest color match for Go-Power gold is Dupli-Color Universal Gold DE1604 should you want to eventually paint your rims.
Dean turned me on to it and I've been looking for a spare can for awhile. On the way to Barnesville, I stopped off at a tiny little Napa parts store in Moticello, GA and lo' and behold they had three cans on the shelf. Also, don't forget Scott Wiggitons has reproduction Go-Powers for about the same price and they are really nice rims as many out there can testify.

Dan

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat May 24, 2008 8:19 am

Wow, Dan, you're right about Scott's repro wheels. I just got my third set back from powdercoat. I'm not sure of the name of the color, but it's a bit yellower and has less metallic than original. Not bad, though. I put the bearings in the freezer this morning, and will push them in this afternoon.
Dean! Thanks for the link! Will's Disston/Hovey is amazing. I will be right in line for a set of CT's.
Phil, if you use paint, be sure to use a good self-etching primer. Paint doesn't stick well to unprimed mag, but I painted Charlie's mag Go Powers in the early '70's with a good primer, and it was still sticking well until he blasted them within the last week or two. Ted

Phil Riley
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp chaparel, mcCulloch 300, Kavilla, Margay,Go Cart 1200, Rupp Monza, 22 karts in all.

Post by Phil Riley » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for the info on the Go Power wheels. I dont know what year this KAVALLA kart is but I was told it is a 1963. It has dual swing mounts and came with mac 8`s. Anyway the wheels are painted and will be just fine until I can find the original type wheel. Thanks again, Phil.