GO POWER WHEELS

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: GO POWER WHEELS

Post by ted johnson » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 am

Hi, Phil. If you want the original CT Alloy wheels, call or email Will Rogers at: rogeo2@sbcglobal.net
Phone: 530-878-7594.
He's a really nice fellow and very knowledgable. I just sent a check for my set yesterday. They come painted and with the front bearings installed for $350 plus shipping. As of yesterday, he had at least one set on hand, but the turnaround time to get a set cast is not too bad at all. They are also in aluminum. The originals were in magnesium, and with the thin spokes were a little fragile. The aluminum should take care of that issue. Good luck! Ted

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Phil-

Any pics you wanna share? I know a lot of us dig seeing other people's karts. I mean, after all, you can't have them all (although a lot of us try!) but you can certainly admire them all!

Dean

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dominic Salvato » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Gold Oldsmobile engine paint works great.

Rod Hytonen
Vintage Karting items owned: vintage sprints and laydowns

Re: GO POWER WHEELS & Kavalla

Post by Rod Hytonen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:24 am

Rob Voska wrote:Mine has a blue metalflake wheel and CT alloy wheels.
Hi -
My first kart was a Kavalla. I think it was in '59 or '60 (maybe even 58?), bought used, with a Clinton A490 on it.
(Think the pic on p.52 in the Dick Day book.)
It was stub axle and had a straight front axle, steel wheels and treaded tires.
I put rear slicks on it right away, but it was common to run (circumferentially) treaded fronts.

The white paint on these karts appeared to have ground glass in it, the way it glowed.
That's one thing you can't see in the Day book's B&W photos.

I remember the hanging seat to rail weld was always coming loose.
As the Bentas Bros. lived about 1/2 hour-45 min. away, (out in the woods near Lowell MA.) I always had them fix it.

They were custom show car guys and always had interesting stuff around. They were very into the deep hand-rubbed finish on their cars. Probably why they knew where to get that cool (and indestructible) white paint.
I think nitrocellulose enamel was popular then.
The restorations I've seen, never have that look I remember on this kart and the GK800 that replaced it.

Rod