My Copperheads first win

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

My Copperheads first win

Post by mcbob » Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Had my third event for my Copperhead hotsaw last weekend it turned the rest of the field into good old fashioned road kill with it's first first place we didn't even get time to flick the indicators as it went past ( Rest easy fellas there were no Mac's amongst the road kill.)

Fool here didn't get any photo's as he left the camera's memory card safely at home Damm.

Mc "Bender" Bob

jmendoza
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A-Bone, HumBug, Macs and a Blender, Panthers.

Re: My Copperheads first win

Post by jmendoza » Fri May 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Running alky with that pipe McBob?

Good job on first place. Did you make a change to the West Bend saw after the first two meets that resulted in the first place trophy?

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am

Na no trophy at this event just the dumb looks from the other competitors when they were sucking my sawdust.

At the previous two runs i had the mixture set rich as the engine has little run time and i'm still not screwing it's neck as far as revs are concerned but this engine is very strong and the next step is up the gearing on the sprocket as i was only running a 8 tooth we'll try 9 and 10 tooth and judge the results i'm certain it can handle the 10 tooth in certain timber besides that i have a good mate filing my chains so performance is way up.

I'm in the process of fitting an automatic oiler as theres no time for the manual pump with the auto oiler set to the max.

I'm going to fit an extension to the rear handle as it's a bit short with the back part of the palm of my hand holding nothing but fresh air.

Another problem to overcome is vibration something i'll be working on over the next couple of months with the addition of rubber cushions to the front and rear handle plus if i lower the rear handle the saw might point better making the saw more accurate in starting the cut's.

Ah the need for speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mc Bob.

Bill Gorham
Vintage Karting items owned: Margay kart
West Bend and Mac Engines

Post by Bill Gorham » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 am

Bob,

Go to 11 pin. I just ordered another 11 pin tonight from Madsens. If you are serious about running a pair of V-12's then it should run much larger than a 11 pin but you willl need a large tail bar when you get bigger in dia. Wait this is a kart site so I need to stop. In all of those bender parts you have bought did you get a single carb intake for the V-12? I want one that will take a HR.

Bill

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed May 28, 2008 7:32 am

Me, too! I wish somebody would cast some of them. I have one here that's thicker than most, thick enough that I could drill in from the edge and put in my external pulse hose fitting. I'd like to find a couple more of those! Ted

mcbob

Post by mcbob » Wed May 28, 2008 5:24 pm

This saw only runs pump gas and the engine is bog standard along with an 8 tooth rim Bill for the size timber we're cutting my bar on the saw is ample ..... The 2 pairs of carbs on V-12 Gem manifolds i purchased a while back are for the future if needed or should the fellas start catching up.
It's only early days yet but we get there as Neil my sawing partner and chain filer reakons he wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make the Nationals ................

Mc Bob.