East Lansing Vintage Racing

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Tom Luttenbacher
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A Bone, Neal, LeeKart, Lancer, GoKart 800's, Simplex, Blitz.
User Agreement: Yes

East Lansing Vintage Racing

Post by Tom Luttenbacher » Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 am

Jeff, fill us in on how that went will you. I didn't know about it in time or might have came down. Are there plans to have another this summer? TL

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Re: East Lansing Vintage Racing

Post by Jeff Campbell » Thu May 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I've been doing some catching up, as I was sick the past week.

This was a VKA Event, with Kart Show and organized demonstration Racing.

Since I was sick, I didn't make it to East Lansing until Sunday, and then missed the entire practice session. There were not many older karts at the event, 4-5 rear engine karts at most, and about 2 dozen plus sidewinders. About 1/2 the karts had Mac engines, the other half Foreign motors, the other motors were pretty much a no show. We really could have used some more Rear Engine karts at the event, the weather looked "iffy" in the reports, but it turned out to be 3 days of the best Sunny weather you can expect this time of year in Michigan, with temps in mid 50s' to low 60's, very comfortable for karting (sure beats 95 at Quincy!). There were not many classes, but the classes racing had good participation which made for very good racing action (for those that like that); the single engine 100cc sidewinders and dual foreign C-Open classes were full and put on a good safe show.

For those that have not been to East Lansing before, I recommend going, the track is in great shape, very long, with a lot of unique turns and sequences, not your run of the mill kart track. Kevin Hauf the track owner/promoter, is a darn nice guy that has accommodated our vintage karts for quite a few years now. It's an excellent track for American made kart engines and rear engine karts.

I finally got one of my kids to drive on the track for some practice driving, my 10yr old son piloted my 1961 Fox Go-Boy with a single Mc49. He came in with a big grin from ear to ear, "daddy, I think vintage karts are way cooler than those modern karts....", what a great kid!

Show results:
Unrestored Original-Dale Renton-1971 New Breed with a MC 101.
Restored Original-Don Renton-66 Dart Chaparell with tw MC101AA.
Restored Modified-Craig Bennett-73 Hartman with a B-Bomb.
People's Choice-Dante Ortiz/1962 Rupp A-Bone with a MC 91.

I'm sure we will be having a "fun run" day here and there at East Lansing during the season. I will probably be going there sometime before Quincy, and once or twice more later in the year.

Jeff
Attachments
IM006190-600.jpg
one of the few West Bends there
(121.59 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
IM006192-600.jpg
(104.05 KiB) Downloaded 238 times