Indentify this kart please

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Todd Runge
Vintage Karting items owned: Twin rear engine Bug, (2) Bug Stingers, Margay Panther, Blackhawk Exterminator

Indentify this kart please

Post by Todd Runge » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:14 am

I purchased the pictured kart from a guy that has had it hanging in his garage for the last 20 years. He thought it was a Bug Stinger.

This is what I know - it is a twin engine rear kart, it has a Mac 101 on it with a Mac 9x GEM fan shroud and a Hosrtman oil clutch and attached pulley. The seat looks more like a McCulloch than a Bug. The triangular nerf bars and front bumper appear to be added, also the brake is not original.

Also, included in the purchase are 2 Homelite motors, I have know idea what they are at all.

Any information on what this kart or the motors are is appreciated.

This is my first post on this forum, so if the pictures do not attach correcly, I can email them also. rungetodd@hotmail.com

Todd
Attachments
Copy of IMG_0637.JPG
(54.02 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Copy of IMG_0636.JPG
(69.05 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Copy of IMG_0635.JPG
(63.31 KiB) Downloaded 777 times

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Re: Indentify this kart please

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Hey Todd-

Certainly is a Bug _ I'd guess a Wasp, and I'd place it around 1960 due to the steering wheel and 1/2" steering shaft. However I don't think the front axle is stock. I haven't seen any Bugs with a straight axle. It's not unreasonable to figure things like the axle and the upholstery changed over the years. The drop axle could have been bent in a crash, or it was a theory that a previous owner had to improve the handling or whatnot.

I'm sure you are aware of it, but the 101/oil clutch is from a much later era- very late 60's to late 70's. The Homelites are more period for the kart if you care about that sort of thing. I'm not sure about the models- I believe the kart motors had a big "KL 92" decal on the cylinder shroud, so I don't know if they've been repainted, or if they are saw motors on kart mounts- which is still a very valid historical powerplant.

Good luck with it- have fun!

Dean

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dan Flanders » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi Todd-
As an aside, it looks like someone borrowed the upholstery from a McCulloch kart to outfit yours. The early bugs I've seen did not have snap on upholstery. Instead, the screwed directly through the seat into the frame.

Dan

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:44 pm

Definately a Bug Wasp. Very early model. The engine mounts and Steering hoop welded to a crosspiece spanning the side rails place it no later than mid 1960.