Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Adrian Labetti
Vintage Karting items owned: Mac 49 M/C powered 1960 Go Kart 800
User Agreement: Yes

MC49 M/C Tillotson conversion?

Post by Adrian Labetti » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:08 am

Hey guys,
I currently have an mc49 m/c with a Walbro sdc carb on it, and I wanted to know if I were to switch to a Tillotson or Mac racing carb, which one could I use, how hard would It be, and what would I need to change?
Below are some photos of the motor/carb setup as it is.
IMG_9169.jpg
IMG_9170.jpg
IMG_9171.jpg
IMG_9172.jpg
IMG_9174.jpg
Thanks,
-Adrian

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.

Re: MC49 M/C Tillotson conversion?

Post by Mark Loraine » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:26 am

One thing (of several others) is to not over do it with a large bore BDC carburetor, so do not let someone talk you into a McCulloch intake manifold or matching BDC carb. You should stick with either a Tillotson HL size carb with adapter to match vacuum/pulse hole feed, or simply replace the manifold with an all McCulloch manifold and reed set-up and a McCulloch smaller bore flat Back carburetor.

anyone else want to clean up my thoughts here?

Adrian Labetti
Vintage Karting items owned: Mac 49 M/C powered 1960 Go Kart 800

Post by Adrian Labetti » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:59 am

Mark Loraine wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:26 am
One thing (of several others) is to not over do it with a large bore BDC carburetor, so do not let someone talk you into a McCulloch intake manifold or matching BDC carb. You should stick with either a Tillotson HL size carb with adapter to match vacuum/pulse hole feed, or simply replace the manifold with an all McCulloch manifold and reed set-up and a McCulloch smaller bore flat Back carburetor.

anyone else want to clean up my thoughts here?
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
couple more questions though:
what are the exact parts I would need to do this conversion? (carb model number, different manifold, adapter, etc..)

this is an M/C style motor, so it wasn't originally made for a kart, so it lacks the special port on the right side of the piston when you take the manifold off, does that affect anything relating to the swap?

Fuel delivery has always been an issue with this motor, as the GK800 I run it on has a seatback tank at the same height as the motor, so it takes a while to get fuel to draw to the carb to get it to start. i understand that these Tillotson carbs have a sort of 'built-in fuel pump', would that solve my issue, or would I still have the same problem, if so, how can I fix it?

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:14 pm

If changing to a Tillotson I would even stay on the small side for a 49'er.
You can use a big McCulloch manifold and reed cage with an adaptor plate or you can get a aftermarket GEM style manifold.

If your carb is not pumping fuel make sure everything is clean and right & pulse holes are all clear and not cover3d by a gasket and no leaks.

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.

Post by Mark Loraine » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Rob Voska wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:14 pm
If changing to a Tillotson I would even stay on the small side for a 49'er.
You can use a big McCulloch manifold and reed cage with an adaptor plate or you can get a aftermarket GEM style manifold.

If your carb is not pumping fuel make sure everything is clean and right & pulse holes are all clear and not cover3d by a gasket and no leaks.
Rob, what about a WB3A carb off a kt100 Yamaha?

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:51 pm

Stay away. Go with a 3/4 to 7/8 bore carb. You only have an 80cc motor.