Safety Tip

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Safety Tip

Post by REAR » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:35 pm

With the opening of karting season right around the corner one thing that should be in your truck and trackside is a fire extinguisher. Fires can start at anytime for any reason so be prepared.

Word of caution, If you are going to carry a fire extinguisher in your trailer make sure you have one in your tow vehicle also. A extinguisher in a burning trailer will do no good.

At trackside have easy access and display of your extinguisher so anyone can use it in the event of a fire.

Do some research also and make sure you get a unit that will work on combustible liquids

Bought this small unit at Walmart for around $25.00. The more units you have the better off you may be.

These are old pictures but note the purchase date on the unit, watch the gauge and replace frequently.

R.E.A.R.

dean kanocz
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp, Fox, Hornet, Bug, McCulloch, Lee Kart, Macs, WB's, Power Products
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Safety Tip

Post by dean kanocz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:46 am

Hey Bob,
Many classic car guys are using these.

https://elementfire.com/

REAR

Post by REAR » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:13 am

Dean,

Thanks for posting. That looks like a really good lightweight unit with great capabilities.

Watched the videos, they were very informative. I think I am going to buy one.

$100.00 is not much money when it comes to possibly saving your life or your vehicle and karts.

Does not matter what style unit you buy however it may be a life saving matter that you bought one.

R.E.A.R.

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Sullivan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:56 am

I bought one of these.
Supposedly does not leave any 'residue' after the fire.
element.PNG

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:46 am

The 'residue' free is a rally nice bonus aside from the longer run time of this unit.

Years ago a friend of mine had a fire in his van while at a flattrack motorcycle race and it is a long story how it started and really kind of unimaginable how it did start inside the van but it was put out with a water-powder fire extinguisher mix and it took us over 1 hour to clean the inside before we would even get back in the van for our return ride home.

My buddy told me that he was still finding white powder residue still in the van after 6 years.

Again, no matter what you opt for, get something, anything, it may be a lifesaver.

R.E.A.R.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:24 am

I've used Halon extinguishers. They work great and leave no residue..........but they are expensive.