Rupp Super K info wanted.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Rupp Super K info wanted.

Post by Russ Smith » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:36 am

I recently acquired a Rupp Super K kart . At first I thought it had been modified because it doesn't have the flat pad pedals, aluminum half-moon steering wheel, and rear crosswise mounted Rupp/Palmini fuel tank. Then I found an advertisment showing a kart with the Rupp L shaped pedals, round slotted steering wheel, and center frame mounted fuel tank........just like mine. It was referred to as a model KJ. I'm thinking 1960-61 time frame. Wheels are 4" and 6" first series Go Powers but I assume they are not original. Any info about these karts would be appreciated.

Rob Voska

Re: Rupp Super K info wanted.

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:46 am

Are the petals flattened / smashed where they rods attached or do they have the tab welded to the petal?
Short swing mount or long?
Enough room behind the seat to put a tank but have tubing welded to the bottom of the frame for a cross rod throttle linkage?
Mine had 4" & 5" hands wheels and a chilton tank. Will need to look at it again to see any other details. Mine does not have a cast aluminum 3/4 steering wheel.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:49 am

Pedals have a flat area where the hole for the rods attach. The hole in the frame where the pedals attach are nearly up to the front axle and there is no indication that any other holes slightly rearward. Engine mounts are welded to frame with raised pads front and rear....typical of a Super K. There are flat pieces welded to the underside of both frame rails with holes that I assume were used for fuel tank mounting but they could be a carry over from earlier model. No tube for throttle cross shaft....throttle rod attaches to a spring loaded bracket on underside right frame. I'd add pix but can't figure out how to do it.

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Bentley » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:16 am

Maybe a Super K Junior This one came out shortly after the final version of Super K and before the A-Bone.

Does your kart still have the 1/2" steering shaft?

I dont remember seeing the Junior having that large two gallon frame mounted tank behind seat.

To post pics, scroll down and click Attachments. Then drag pic into your post. Wait until uploaded then insert.

Below is an early ad for the Junior.
Attachments
July 1960 HR Rupp Super K Junior .jpg

Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:30 am

I think you may be correct, Terry. Literature I've found from old print ads describe the model as KJ (single engine) and TKJ (twin engine). Models also have a "dash" suffix denoting engine option (i.e. TKJ- MC10 was dual Mc 10 equipped. Model KJ-100 came with no engine, etc.) Steering shaft is 5/8" and appears to be original. Are these considered racing or fun karts?
MC 10 and MC 6 options would suggest racing...........but the kart seems heavy. I have an ad I'll try to post. The kart shown in the ad I have shows the later pedals and round slotted steering wheel.

REAR

Post by REAR » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:27 am

Always wondered about the 'junior' designation.

Was it because the Jr. had less features. I see steel wheels, no tank on the ad Terry posted.

R.E.A.R.

Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 am

The above ad does state "Special Patented Formula K racing frame" so it could be a low option version. Hard to tell for sure but I enjoy playing detective with these old girls.

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:18 am

Yes the Junior is an entry level package. Knobby tires, steel wheels, and no frame mounted gas tank. It is advertised at $219.50 with Clinton A-490.

REAR

Post by REAR » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 am

219 bucks, to a young kid that was like 219 million. I know..... I used to dream about owning one of those karts.

R.E.A.R.

Russ Smith

Post by Russ Smith » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:30 am

Yep..........$219 was way out of my snow shoveling and lawn mowing money budget back then. I remember seeing A490 equipped Billbrook karts advertised for $99.99 (plus $10 shipping!) and thinking I MAY have been able to afford one of those.