Moderator: Rob Voska

Pat Seidl
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex
Hellcat Wildcat
User Agreement: Yes

Kart ID help

Post by Pat Seidl » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:31 pm

205E75FE-1080-4509-8F70-22991A719E73.png
Can anyone give me information on this kart?

Rob Voska

Re: Kart ID help

Post by Rob Voska » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:29 pm

Almost positive it's a Bird. They were advertised in the back of Boys Life magazine. Not really a race kart.

Pat Seidl
Hellcat Wildcat

Post by Pat Seidl » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:10 am

Thank you, I don’t own the kart but a picture was sent to me and I didn’t have a clue. This is my bird kart in progress.
Attachments
147DD9ED-2242-4DC0-87EB-31498C6B9EB8.jpeg

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:51 pm

That kart in your garage looks like a Blackhawk, not made by Bird Engineering.

The kart ID in question, I dont think is a Bird. It does appear to be a racing kart. But uses the steering wheel commonly seen on Bird karts.

One thing that sticks out is the side rails for seat. They appear to be original and not added on. They closely resemble the rails on second generation Caretta, minus the louvered sheet metal covering.

The welded joints of tubing are not fish mouthed, but slightly flattened. Takes less time to build this way, but also weaker.

After closer examination, I now see this kart has a live rear axle. It is enclosed and probably only 3/4" diameter. But that was common on some early model karts. including the Caretta. Not completely sure about this one but someone can chime in and correct me.

The rear brake setup uses pusher pads against one side of sprocket hub. Again common on early Caretta and Go-Kart, if memory serves me correctly. Circa on this frame is 1959-60. You notice the left sprocket hub is absent and brake only controls the right side wheel. Being a live axle not a problem. The linkage is set up with a cantilever to work either or both rear wheels.

The straight front axle is interesting that it utilizes riding lawn mower style spindles which lowers the frame. These spindles are what really kills the kart. Otherwise it is no too terribly thought out for the time.

Pat Seidl
Hellcat Wildcat

Post by Pat Seidl » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:05 am

Thank you for the input, I don’t own the black kart but was just curious to see if anyone could identify the kart. The one in the shed I do own and found one just like it made by Bird Engineering, some called this one The Slingshot is something else I read somewhere?
Attachments
85DB24B8-0A16-482B-8B45-A606616282D4.jpeg

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:57 am

After a closer look of your kart, I was totally wrong. I guess your kart is a much later model Bird than ones I am usually checking out. Way past the rear engine racing time period. From a glance it looked to me like a Blackhawk, until comparing them side by side. My bad.

Pat Seidl
Hellcat Wildcat

Post by Pat Seidl » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:54 pm

No problem..👍