Just a reminder...

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Just a reminder...

Post by REAR » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:55 am

Ladies and Gents,

With warm weather right around the corner and many getting ready to bring out not only the old iron but the new winter 'projects' as well we would like to ask you to do alittle once over check before heading to the track.

Take 5 minutes and check your steering, brakes, wheels, and even engines to make sure all these items are secure and cotter pinned or safety wired and that all fasteners are secure and in good shape.

We know what your thinking, but this 5 minute 'check up' could save a lifetime so please check your kart before heading out and check the R.E.A.R guidelines if you plan on attending the best old kart gig going, THE BIG ONE.

Remember also when you go out on the track that if something doesn't feel or sound right pull off immediatly and have a looksee because you might just catch a major problem before it happens and tears up not only your kart but you as well.

Listed below is a actual event in the drivers own words that happened this past weekend and this fellow dodged a bullit.

-----We had about 15 starters in the unlimited class. I got hit at the start by a spinning 250 but still managed to get out in about 10 place. Past a couple of guys and was in 8th behind scott (in the cr this time) and chuck in the 250. I was getting my down shifts and was using the brakes less, but they still felt a bit weak. They were still stopping me though. That is until the third lap at the end of the back straight as I was right behind chuck and scott. I went to hit the brakes and they were totally gone. I just didn't want to hit chuck or scott or the kart that was already off there. I ended up splitting them (cutting right in front of scott) and leaving the track at about 110mph. I went into the gravel trap about 80 feet or so. One hell of a ride. I just want to thank God that I was alright and I was able to miss the other drivers. I broke the nose a bit and got about 3 inches of gravel in the kart. Other than that it is just really dirty. We are going to try and figure out what happened to the brakes. nothing looked out of place so we are kinda unsure at the moment. ---

5 minutes isn't that long to prevent a accident that only takes a second.

Safe, Fast, Fun in a REAR engine kart. Thats what its all about.

R.E.A.R.