Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Adrian Labetti
Vintage Karting items owned: Mac 49 M/C powered 1960 Go Kart 800
User Agreement: Yes

Chain issues

Post by Adrian Labetti » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:17 pm

Hey guys
Ive been back at working on my kart, and ive been having issues with the chain. i'll get the chain to the right tension, and then to test it i'll push it up an down the driveway a few times. after doing this, the chain now is super loose and fell off at one point. its brand new essentially, and the motor is not shifting around, and nor is the axle. any thoughts as to what is causing this?

REAR

Re: Chain issues

Post by REAR » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:11 am

Couple of quick checks may be in order.

Are the sprockets aligned with each other ?

Are the sprocket halves a matched set. For example, you don't have a 71 tooth half on one side and a 70 tooth half on the other side.

Make sure the chain is fully engaged all the way around the sprocket when making your tension adjustments. Have had one link hanging low and was able to still adjust the chain but when spun fast the chain would jump off.

Hope these may help.

R.E.A.R.

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Chain issues

Post by Terry Sullivan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:48 am

Always a pain to get this right.
-Excluding rare things like bent axle, sprocket hub, or crankshaft......
I have the most trouble after I have moved the engine forward/back to get some slack.
When I am tightening the mount bolts, things flex and now my desired slack has changed!
This is especially true with with stamped engine mounts on the kart, or on the engine, like on a Clinton.