Gasket goo

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Re: Gasket goo

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Believe it or not, I found Hylomar at my local Harley dealer...........reasonably priced! Probably the only thing in the shop that was.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Ted-

Glad you were able to find it- when I was first told about it, permatex had actually licenced to make/distribute it so it was easy to find. A year or two ago permatex didn't renew their license so since then it's been hard to find- and expensive. I'm not sure of the whole story, but I had heard that it was originally developed by/for BMW and was a dealer only thing for a long time and was something stupid like $25 a tube. (when I was a parts guy we used to joke that "BMW" stood for either "Bring Money Willingly" or "Bring Mom's Wallet" depending on who the customer was.)

When I came across it at Harbor Freight, I picked up a few tubes because I hadn't found it locally and most online places were selling tubes in the $15 range. I figure 3 tubes will last darn near a lifetime unless it goes bad in the tube. I like it because it never solidifies the way RTV sealers do. There isn't the threat for little silicone boogers to break off and clog things in
the engine.

I can also attest to Yamabond, but I haven't used it on gasket surfaces, only because I was turned on to it after I had found out about Hylomar. Terry MacDonald told me about this trick-I use it with a small brush around washers and under bolt heads on the Macs to prevent airleaks. Like this:

But it's my understanding that Yamabond is hard to find now and that most Yamaha dealers are trying to sell folks on some kind of replacement. I've had no experience with the new stuff that they call "Three Bond."

Good luck!
Dean

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Tom Smith » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:40 pm

Hylomar was originally developed and licensed by Rolls Royce for aircraft engines. There are or were a couple of different grades made. God Save the Queen.

Theo Holstein

Post by Theo Holstein » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Buy American? Loctite is owned by the German company, Henkel. Hylomar is a UK company, and of course Yamabond is..........
If you try to so anything these days,with the even slightest technical slant using American made only products, you won't get very far!

Theo

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm

Theo!

Buddy! How the hell is that $50,000 Percival Hellcat doing? :lol:

Dean

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Theo Holstein

Post by Theo Holstein » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 pm

The Hellcat was sold to a gentleman in Japan 6 months ago, so I really can't say.

Theo

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:44 pm

After ordering a tube from Harbor Freight, I needed to go to a couple auto parts places plus a decent hardwarw store today. Just for the heckovit I looked to see if the Hylomar might be in stock, but nobody had it, or had even heard of it. I could've waited for my "off Friday" and run into Albuquerque to the local Harbor Freight, but I hate driving in Albuquerque, so I will wait for the "Freight"! Ya know, it's a B**** living in a backward area! Ted

Dean Seavers

Post by Dean Seavers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Ted-

It was funny because when I discovered that Permatex disconinued it I sent them an e-mail basically saying "Nooooooooo!" and I got the "Permatex manufactures a myriad of gasket sealents that I'm sure you will enjoy" e-mail back. But I know it sent both myself and Dan Flanders on a quest to see who had some left in stock. I was able to get a tube, which I'm still using, but I was in Harbor for something else when I stumbled upon it. I was jazzed. I know I'm a geek to be jazzed about gasket sealer! ;)

Theo- that's amazing. Maybe you can pass on your buyer's contact info- I've got a bridge I can make him a good deal on.

Dean
Last edited by Dean Seavers on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

REAR

Post by REAR » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Ted,

Sorry for the foreign info. Guess I need to watch google and buy-outs more closely.

Theo,

Plenty of American made cutting tools out there with no slant needed when it comes to quality.

R.E.A.R.