Moderator: Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Re: Gasket goo

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Dean quit sniffnig it ! :D :D :D

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 am

Hey, This has been a fun thread! We even brought Mr. Holstein out of the woodwork! Thanks to everyone for their input. If I can get a chassis ready in time, I will run this somewhat strange engine at Fremont. Dean, thanks for the tip on sealing Mac backplate screws with the goo - I will use it on the 101-if I ever get to Ron C's house to put it together! Ted

jmendoza
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A-Bone, HumBug, Macs and a Blender, Panthers.

The fix that will hold/seal

Post by jmendoza » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Use JB weld to fill the low spots. I put it in the dings/low spots, and bolt the manifold on with wax paper so it won't stick, this makes the JB weld epoxy fill and conform exactly to fill gaps. When cured, remove the manifold and wax paper, clean off any excess epoxy that oozed out on the seams, use a new gasket (if required) and bolt the manifold back on. Works like a charm, even on dinged heads.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks, J. The dings are very shallow and on an edge less than .125 thick, also in magnesium. I was concerned that the JB Weld might not hang in there under vibe and fuel. I still may try it. I think the Hylomar will do the trick. It's great having so many people ready to help! Reminds me of older days. Have a good week! Ted

keith bryan II
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960-61 Capitol Kart

Post by keith bryan II » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:57 pm

$50,000 for a hellcat? how the hell did you do that? am guessing it took a while to find that very special buyer I would be interested in learning your marketing plan
very impressive