free roller bearings

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Larry Brown
Vintage Karting items owned: Too many
User Agreement: Yes

Re: free roller bearings

Post by Larry Brown » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:42 am

Ted - Do like we used to do in the old days when we were road racing - buy bearings with rubber tipped seals, and pop them out and clean out all of the lubricant, then re-lube with your choice of oil, etc. Put the seals back in and you have a " free roller " bearing.+ The tiny bit of drag from the seals is not even measurable. We used to have contests to see how long we could make the rear axle spin after giving it a good spin by hand. Surprising how long they would spin. Did it help? Hard to tell, but it can't hurt.
Just my 2 cents worth .....
90# driver and 90# kart is the way to go!
Have fun, I know you l like to have a project to work on.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:58 am

Larry, Pruit managed to find a couple light seats in Vegas, and I got a Longacre aluminum steering wheel from Speedway. It's got wider spokes than most vintage wheels, but it is light. TWO DAYS from Speedway! I remember getting out the seals so we could lube the bearings ourselves. Most you-lube bearings have the lube hole under the flangette, and you have to split the flangettes to re-lube them. I sure hope to see you in November. Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:07 pm

Lots of modern guys...... even the dirt guys take shields off and run open bearings. Easy to clean. Easy to lube.