Swappiing and shopping at TBO

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Swappiing and shopping at TBO

Post by REAR » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:42 am

A few quick pictures of the swap meet action at this yers TBO. As usual it was huge.

Nice living room decorations, just don't tell the wife.
A few enduro tanks.
Truck full of motors.
Mike Everin checking out a Power Products.
Clinton goodies.
Mc 10 ready to go.
One of Terry Sullivans jewels.
Roger Santee checking out a Mc.
Table full of goodies
Trailer full of goodies.
Ford Motor Company gas cap from the early drivers education programs.
Bug Stuff.
Rare Rupp 1" axle knock off set.

More to come....R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Re: Swappiing and shopping at TBO

Post by ted johnson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 am

C'mon, guys! That PP Iron Mike Everin is checking out looks suspiciously like a Clinton A400 or 490. Anyhow, wish I could have been there! When Terrry "restored" that E-65. he must've spent HOURS sanding that megaphone in order to polish it so purty. I remember thinking that I ought to polish the two on my dual 65 back in '69, but they were so mossy I just didn't bother. TJ

REAR

Post by REAR » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:50 am

Quarter to 5 with no coffee, shit happens.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:39 am

Gotcha, Buddy! It doesn't even have to be a quarter to five for me..
It's already HOT out there at 5:40 A.M. I gotta go out and find a dual stuffer manifold for my friend. It wasn't where I thought it was. :evil:
Have a good weekend. Ted

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 am

Hey Ted. I thought about polishing up my E65 megaphones............and now that I've seen one, I guess it's time to get busy!
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Hey, Russ! I hope you are well. If your megs are as rough as mine were back in '59, you have a PROJECT on your hands. I was so disappointed in the performance of my dual 65's that I decided to get rid of them and get a pre-production Mc6 kit and make my shelved Mc5 run better. Pop had 100 pounds on me, and his crappy Mc5 outran my dual 65's! Ted

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:11 am

I like the E65...........but they look and sound a lot better than they perform. I use them for show, not go! And those megs are so LOUD that I'm convinced the Clinton design engineers were told to make them as ear-splittingly loud as they could. BTW, I'm as well as any 72 year old! LOL

REAR

Post by REAR » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:42 am

Teddy,

Not so quick dismissing those E-65s. Ask Dean Kanocz what he thought of my Puttnik Dude prepped Clinton. Dean ran the heck out of her all day saturday and he was really surprised how good she ran.

Don't forget also that Terry Sullivan builds such a pretty Clinton that the looks alone of one is worth 5 mph extra.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 am

Bob, no question that a Clinton can be made to run. Back in '59, we weren't yet doing any serious metal work on our engines. Maybe a bolt-on manifold or stuffer. It wasn't until the Jim Butler articles in KW magazine that Pop first tackled a port job on a Mac. I remember a guy named Netherton who got 6-1/2 HP out of an A490. We just decided that since we were racing "seriously" back then, we better have the best engine on the market. We were Clinton, Mac, Homelite and PP dealers at Pop's mower/saw shop, and I was disappointed with the PP58's vibration, so the Mac seemed the way to go. I had already seen ample evidence that the Homelite K82 wouldn't cut it in real racing. I had built a kart engine out of a Clinton outboard, and after all that work, it still got eaten by the first 580 I came up against. :shock: Ted