820 rings

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: 820 rings

Post by ted johnson » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 am

Yeah, Rob. I guess the PP82's, Homelites and "round" West Bends could be a real issue. I guess I will stick with my old faithful 610's.
PS, Ted Furtch sent me a blurb about a really nice Dart with dual 101's that sold on BaT for $24,000!!! I said "people are stupid" I will personally find THREE Darts and six 101'a and restore them for $24K!! The world of classic cars has been destroyed by the auctions. I guess BaT is single-handedly destroying vintage karting. Have a good week, Man! Ted

Mark Loraine
Vintage Karting items owned: ProX 77,McC R1,Bug Stinger Dual.
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mark Loraine » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Here's a good video covering U S Chrome for those interested or have not seen it on yewtube ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hBx1sO5y8

See how to save those used pistons too!

Regards,
Mark L./ SWNY

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Mark, I talked with Chris Borowick at Line2line West in Nevada. The graphite process looks very good, and is also alky safe. Thanks! Ted

Chris Borowick
Line2Line Coatings West
1406 #4 Industrial Way
Gardnerville, NV 89410
775-782-4060
chrisborowick@line2linecoatings.com

louie figone
Vintage Karting items owned: Single/twin 67 Chaparrals
69 A bone/Model J/62 Fox
WB/820s/610s/580V5
PP58/61/82/KL100

Post by louie figone » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Ted, that Chaparral that sold on BAT was not a Rupp, it was a RobRon Chaparral, the only thing Rupp on it were the wheels, uni-mounts, fuel tank. People buying on the auctions do not know their karts. Two weeks ago there was a nice dual Rupp, 101's, GEM V12's, Horstman mufflers, Rev-grip clutches, front brakes, it was a accurate CS2 and very nice, it sold for $19,000, the guy who paid $24,000 for the RobRon bid to $17,000 on the real Rupp.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Hey, Louie. I remember I DID see that the Dart was one of Mr. Stanton's and not an original. I guess I was so grouchy at the ridiculous price that I glossed over that part. The gennie Chap at $19K was almost as silly a price. It has gotten to the point where if a guy wants a decent rig, he needs to be a darn good resto man and do the work himself. The disparity between asking prices is amazing. My buddy, Ted Furtch, has come across a couple quite decently priced real Darts recently.
Speaking of Ted, he bought a 91B from one of our Cali Mac gurus. It's a fast motor.It has a good HL on an early GEM manifold with a 4 petal Homelite reed. What do you think of using a '91 manifold with the V4 Mac reed and one of Chuck Giacobbe's HL-to-Mac reed adapters? Chuck sent me one to play with, but I don't have a Mac engine. I thought if the 91 manifold with the HL334 and the carb adapter would work well together, that I'd send Ted the piece. Would a GEM style manifold with the West Bend Vee reed be better?
I hope you are well. Tell the Cali guys Hi for me! I wish you could make Tucson. Ted

dean kanocz
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp, Fox, Hornet, Bug, McCulloch, Lee Kart, Macs, WB's, Power Products

Post by dean kanocz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Thank you Ted and Mark for the interesting piston coating info!

Years ago Dan E. mentioned that his WB 700v5 cylinders on his Apache kart were Nikasiled and honed by the shop you mentioned in Wisc. if that helps anyone with blind bore cylinders.

I too miss the old days of the forums. Great knowledge, stories and banter then with better moderators!

Looking forward to TBO.

Leaving all my Cleveland Indians gear at home though :roll:

dean kanocz
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp, Fox, Hornet, Bug, McCulloch, Lee Kart, Macs, WB's, Power Products

Post by dean kanocz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Does the piston coater machine the ring lands and piston pin ID after coating or do they have another solution for those areas?

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:13 am

Dean, better moderators than Rob and Bob? How can that be? They are the greatest!
See, I didn't know that Dan E. had Nikasiled the 700's. That's another reason they run so fast! When Nikasil first came to my attention many years ago, I got on the phone with Scott Reath at US Chrome. I think he's retired, but US Chrome is still the "hub" for Nikasil. They are not far from Dick Teal, Joel Christians, Charlie Craibe and others in the Eastern part of Wisconsin, North of Milwaukee. I wonder if they could build up blind bearing bores when main ball bearings get loose in the case? The techs at Line2line are great sources, and easy to talk to. They will have the info on how they mask areas not to be coated. The piston in their video was masked above the bottom of the lower ring groove. They also have a different coating for the piston crown. The old +.010 Wiseco in the fast 610 is a candidate for coating. The Mac rings are still available, but oversize Hartman Super Sealers are scarce.
I hope you have fun at TBO. I really miss it.
Hope the storms have missed you for the most part. It's sure wet here, and Dish Network is screwing up. Ted

dean kanocz

Post by dean kanocz » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:46 pm

Ted,

Yes, I was saying the forum moderators are
Much better than the lunatics that run social
media sites. Sorry if I was not clear.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:02 pm

AH, SO, Dean! I DID misunderstand. I can't comment on social media, as I am no part of it and do not subscribe. I sure hope to see you and Jen and Joe at Tucson. I hope Bob K. will join us again.
I wish there were more users of this forum. These guys are certainly more in tune with the things I like in vintage than any other site.
Have you thought about doing some seriour resto on a few karts? With the fools that frequent BaT, there's money to be made! I KNOW I could restore three Darts with 101's and sell the rigs for thousands less than $24K, and still make real profit. Stay safe. Say Hi to the family. Ted