Beating the bushes

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Mark Cermak
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Rupp Chaparrals, 6 Simplex's, Chevy Monza Jr., 1969 Blackhawk Poison Arrow
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Beating the bushes

Post by Mark Cermak » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Dean,

I used to have a 1968 Hurst Olds (Silver/Black) also with a whopping '455, & a 391 rear end from the factory and boy that car had some serious torque off the line......Gotta love those Big Blocks.....especially Olds !!
I sure wish I still had that car today; no power steering, just all engine under that hood!

Mark

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 pm

<<I would give my eye teeth to make 3 passes in a dragster . 1 just to come out of the hole , 2 a half track pass and 3 a full pull.!!!!>>

Brian- if you did that and had someone there to give a signature, you'd have your fuel license!

I just sling wrenches and read data and start the thing, although I hope at some point to get into a shorter wheelbase, as period as is possible nowadays, front engine digger. Nothing serious, just an injected stock SBC deal that will run high nines all day and not hurt parts. My real love is drag racing 60's style.

Mark- yes! Cool car! It's funny though, I started working for my Dad when I was 12 and saved up enough to buy the car when I was 14 (it was $1200) and it ran (just)- I conned an older friend into driving it from the seller's house to my house. Seeing as I was the kind of kid who thought he was 14 going on 24, I hadn't bothered to even mention this to my folks, so when they were a little taken aback I couldn't figure out why. I figured that we had an RV pad on the side of the house the my Dad never used and it's not a big deal. They relented though and I worked on it and got it roadworthy by the time I was 17.

I have a 10 year old son who reminds me a lot of me (for better or worse!) and I can't fathom turning him loose in 6-7 years with a car like that! Surviving that car, and my teen years in general, involved way more luck than smarts! :lol:

The worst part is I didn't really appreciate it like I should have- I was glad to have it, but at the time I felt like it was my second or third choice- I had always pined for a '65 GTO and even then they were just a bit out of reach for a snot-nosed kid with a part time job.

But I look back on the 442 with a lot of fond memories and I'm really glad that I had it when I did. It was a great car and I always stop and look whenever I see a '68-72 Olds. They even look better today. Sold it in 1987 when I was 19 and took the money and moved back east. I heard a couple of years later that someone plowed into it when it was parked on the street and totaled it. Bummer.

Dean

George Sellon

Post by George Sellon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm

Dean, yep, born and raised there. We had a guy in the group with an early 442, the one with tiny drum brakes. He ended up crashing onto the tracks at the end of the road after making three back to back runs at "Procter & Gamble". Don't let your son read this, street racing BAD BAD BAD.
I had a 66 goat with a .060 over Buick 430 with stage something heads. We got a bunch of used hi po Buick parts from the old B&N Automotive auction after which ever one of them it was was killed at Bonneville one year. They actually had a big block Buick powered Funny car.
Anyway, keep that Davis deal going, hope to make it out there in a couple of years.
kart54.com

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 pm

George-

Wow- so you guys used to drag Power Inn and Fruitridge? A few years ago I used to run my kart over at the Army Depot parking lot to do shakedown and test and tune. I got away with it for quite awhile, but eventually I was ratted out and the complex manager gave me the heave ho.

I'm no longer involved with organizing the Vintage Kart Reunion, but I'm still putting together regular playdays a few times a year at both Davis and Dixon. Last playday had about 35 karts so it was a lot of fun.

Drop me a line next time you head out this way and we'll meet up for lunch or somethin'!

Dean

Frank Payne
Vintage Karting items owned: lots a karts and engines

Post by Frank Payne » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 am

Hey guys this is what I used to do. My second new car and I'm torturing it. 68 Chevelle 396 375 hp. It ran 12.70s
Attachments
car1.tif
(534.61 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
car3.tif
(534.61 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

Dean Seavers

Post by Dean Seavers » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 am

Frank-

I couldn't view the tif pictures of your car, but it sounds really cool! When I was nosing around for my first car, the ones that were in contention were a '66 Chevelle, a '61 Bel Air with a 409 that had been dropped in place of the 348 (way too much of a project for my budget and abilities, even though I really wanted that one) and my neighbor's '69 Chevelle- only it was the grocery getter version. The Olds obviously won out because it fit my budget and was in the best shape of all of them.

If you have your pics in jpeg, I'd love to check them out! 12.70s! Impressive!

Dean

George Sellon

Post by George Sellon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:47 pm

375 horse Chevelle, 12.70's ? off a tall building :o
kart54.com

Frank Payne

Post by Frank Payne » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:25 am

Dean, How can I post the pics? I changed them to bmp and still no dice. Yeah George, 12.70s at about 108. Then I pulled the motor and put in a new 427 -425hp. That thing was unreal. On 7" Firestone Drag 500s it ran 12.04 twice at 116 and it was sliding around quite a bit. Would have gone 11s easy with better tires. Now these H and I stockers are running 11s. Oh well, tires and technology.

Dean Seavers

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:39 am

Frank-

I think you'll have to convert them to jpegs, and I'm not sure if you have to, but I posted my pics on photo bucket and then embedded the link using the little "img" button on the board and it put the pics into the body of the post.

Dean

Frank Payne

Post by Frank Payne » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 am

OK Dean I'll try to convert them. Any how I have a pic helping a guy in 1970 at Thunder Valley in Sioux Falls. I'm standing in front of the car, a lot thinner then. The car is one of the infamous COPO Camaro's. Iron block 427 and a Turbo 400, it ran SS/DA in the low 11s. Frank
Attachments
27.jpg
(26.89 KiB) Downloaded 346 times