SAE originality question?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

johnny rocket
Vintage Karting items owned: none
User Agreement: Yes

SAE originality question?

Post by johnny rocket » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 pm

So I come to you in need of an answer, as I feel this forum is the correct place to come for an SAE question? I have an early 1961 SAE, I have completely disassembled the kart and am preparing it for a proper restoration. As I am disassembling the kart I am finding all of the kool home made parts from Jerry himself. But there is one part that I and others that I have consulted upon cannot agree if it were made by Jerry or someone added it after the fact.

I will present my case to show that this kart was truly home made before buying mass production parts to build a kart that the part in question could be made by Jerry himself.

Example 1: the king pins are simple threaded rod with a nut welded on one end and then threaded into the frame with a nut on the bottom.
Example 2: the steering column is two nuts welded together, with a 1/2 in shaft threaded at the bottom and screwed into the frame, with said nuts welded to the frame.

Both parts clearly homemade.

These examples are clearly home made parts with what was available in the shop 1961. So that brings me to my part in question, the engine mount. I have an early flyer that states a rubber insulated swing mount was available in 1961. The mount that the kart has on it as found is a machined hunk of aluminum that has been drilled out for weight attached to the frame via threaded rod for adjustability. Now from my research Jerry was very concerned with weight and made a very early adjustable front spindles. All four of the bearings are identical and are affixed to an aluminum axle. And there are no marks that indicate a different mounting position later in the karts life, as if the bearings have been there since day 1. There are also no extra holes drilled in the frame or plates that may have been welded and removed as the kart is in original paint.

So SAE gurus with the explanation and pics could this engine mount be original to the kart made by Jerry or was there something else originally used. And if there was another swing mount made by Jerry, what does it look like?
1A9E0A20-A66B-4E69-AAE5-7A8907F8F497.jpeg
B0153523-7B69-415A-9932-6F531910B554.jpeg
8B13FE83-5B6D-4747-94B0-B28DABFB742B.jpeg

Rob Voska

Re: SAE originality question?

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:46 pm

Cool kart!

In 1961 Jerrys Dad was building them.

Steering shaft is just a big bolt threaded into a nut welded to the front axle.
Floor pan is short early version.
Round seat back is correct also.
Front bumper looks odd compared to the picture or any I have ever seen on an SAE.
I have never seen a "swing mount" like that on an SAE. But that kart is so early they were running all the early engines at that time. Once McCulloch became the engine they used the side mount bolts through the frame.
I think they were gas welded or brazed.

Would like to see a side view of the mount, front spindle, axle bearing hangers and how the seat bottom was attached in the rear.

There are a few others that know a lot more than I do about them.

Hi & welcome. We don't have many rules here but you must use your real first and last name.

johnny rocket

Post by johnny rocket » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response, name is Johnny Wolkiewicz

Yes the kart was brazed together and all of the paint front to back is identical and I have scraped off an area and it was painted with no primer just a coat of color. So I would imagine all bumpers are original.

I am inserting more pics that may have answers
The attachment DC920C51-4FE2-4C52-B229-8C67B5FBF45E.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment 3AB87DD9-CEB6-4B97-914F-505050A97E34.jpeg is no longer available
3AB87DD9-CEB6-4B97-914F-505050A97E34.jpeg

johnny rocket

Post by johnny rocket » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 am

956B8EAB-FAAF-4027-96D0-C92E4E5F5827.jpeg
4CC7CF3E-547F-4EB7-9835-50548A7F7D49.jpeg

johnny rocket

Post by johnny rocket » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:27 am

image.jpg

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:22 am

BTW, should one of we karters want to make a similar swing mount from aluminum channel and plate, a suggestion is to Google and find a supplier of "Aluminum Association" channel rather than structural channel. "Aluminum Association" channel has parallel leg surfaces instead of tapered legs, thus negating the need for the standard "leveling" or beveled washers required for standard channel and "I" beams. Just a suggestion for fabbing aluminum swing mounts. Aluminum Association channel also has legs thicker than the web, so you have more "meat" to bolt through. I made the Swoopster swing mounts of this good stuff. A heck of a lot simpler! :) Ted

REAR

Post by REAR » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Jerry did so many things its easy to say no two were alike.

Personally I would leave that one alone, just add a early American engine and call her good...... real good.

R.E.A.R.