Is this a rear engine kart?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Bill Gorham
Vintage Karting items owned: Margay kart
West Bend and Mac Engines

Is this a rear engine kart?

Post by Bill Gorham » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 am

Hello to all. I am new to the vintage karts and looking for a bit of help. I have been searching for vintage kart engines to run in my vintage chainsaws. In the search I have became interested in the karts. I am wondering if this kart is considered a rear engine. I understand the 4 stroke is not original.

Thanks,
Bill
Attachments
Kart 18.JPG
(90.35 KiB) Downloaded 1328 times

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: Is this a rear engine kart?

Post by steveohara » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:51 am

Bill,

That is a Margay chassis that can be used as a rear engine kart. Look around at the pictures on this site and I think you'll find some shots of that chassis with a Margay gearbox drive system mounted behind the seat. You would get rid of the swing mount that hangs off the rear axle and the engine (Mac or WB) would mount directly to the gearbox.
Steve O'Hara

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:26 am

Bill G
Please use your real first and last name when registering. If your posts have been deleted you now know why. Please edit your profile. Thank You

FYI - you can change your user name after joining. Go to upper right corner, and click on USER CONTROL PANEL, pick PROFILE from menu on the left, then pick sub menu EDIT ACCOUNT SETTINGS. Then replace your user name with your real name.

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dan Flanders » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi Bill-
It looks like a Margay New Breed with a sidewinder mount (not REAR legal, but definitely a very desirable vintage kart). You may want to check the front axles, if they are offset (one is longer than the other) then it is a dedicated sidewinder kart. If the axles are equal in length, then it is a rear engine kart with a sidewinder mount. If the latter is the case, it would simply be a matter of finding a gear box (as Steve pointed out) or chain drive set up. Complete gearboxes come up regularly on EBAY, the chain drive is a bit rarer, but does come up on occasion.
Yours appears to have the later fiberglass seat sides which would put it about '69 or '70. Also, the paint appears to be original (Chevy metallic blue) The earlier New Breed's had aluminum sided seats and a slightly different seat configuration. Good find, just get rid of the 'tater digger motor :)

Dan

Bill Gorham

Post by Bill Gorham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 am

Dan and Steve,

Thanks for the help. The front axle does apper to be offset so I guess it is a sidewinder
Attachments
Kart 9.JPG
(91.09 KiB) Downloaded 935 times

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:33 am

But it's an easy mod to make it a rear engine kart if you want it to be. Just cut the spindle hanger off on the long side and shorten the front axle, weld the hanger back in place and paint it up.
Steve O'Hara

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Bill-

Like Steve said, it would be a fairly easy mod to convert it to a rear-engine kart. I don't think there were any other differences between the two besides the offset front axle. That said, the kart looks to be in pretty good original condition. Personally, I would hesitate to modify because it is only original once, restored is forever...But that is entirely your call. It is missing the front tank mount/number panel, a very distinctive and desirable feature that really distinguishes (among other things like the suspension and seat) the New Breeds from other karts. Your number panel is from a later Cheetah kart. Like I said before, good score on a VERY DESIRABLE kart. Attached are some pics of a rear engine New Breed with the chain drive set up.

Dan

(click to enlarge)

Bill Gorham

Post by Bill Gorham » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:26 am

I plan to keep it as close to original as possible. I will not be cutting on it in fear of destroying the intregrity. I have a friend offer me some axle mount engines for it. Now please excuse my igorance as I am new to this but what are axle mount engines?

Thanks,
Bill

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug

Post by david a luciani » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 pm

you've got a great friend there!!!
not only do you have a very nice kart but you have people giving you the parts.
i need some of your mojo!!! :D
aaanyway
axle mount engines can be seen on any of the vintage karts.
they usually started as chainsaw based powerheads.
there's a plate that rides on a set of bearings that the engine bolts to.
keep it original would be my vote
dave

Bill Gorham

Post by Bill Gorham » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:10 am

david a luciani wrote:you've got a great friend there!!!
not only do you have a very nice kart but you have people giving you the parts.
i need some of your mojo!!! :D
aaanyway
axle mount engines can be seen on any of the vintage karts.
they usually started as chainsaw based powerheads.
there's a plate that rides on a set of bearings that the engine bolts to.
keep it original would be my vote
dave

Dave,

He offered the engines but they will not be free. If mounting them involves making major modifications to the kart then I will not do it. As for chainsaws that is what I am really into. I have a large collection of saws. Since vintage race saws and karts are related I have now started into karts. I also have (3) sons coming up that need to race something and they are too young to race saws with me.

Sincerely,
Bill