McCulloch Yellow

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Alan Lewis
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint Kart with MAC 91-C
User Agreement: Yes

McCulloch Yellow

Post by Alan Lewis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm in the process of restoring my vintage Bug [link2][/link2]kart and need to know what the best color match paint is to McCulloch yellow. The motor is a MC 91C (if that's important). Relatedly, I'd like to know what sheen would be closest to the original McCulloch black (flat, stain or semi-gloss). Any help would be much appreciated.

ted johnson

Re: McCulloch Yellow

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Alan, paint is Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow, powder coat is RAL 1023. There are any number of more or less wrinkle black powder coat types available. Some are way too wrinkly. Mac used slightly different paints over the years, but the Sunburst Yellow is quite close. My Mc5 shrouds are RAL 1023 powder, and they look very good. Ted

Alan Lewis

Post by Alan Lewis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks Ted. Going shopping!

REAR

Post by REAR » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Is the rustoleum paint fuel and oil resistant ?

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Hey, Bob. Rustoleum's nowhere near as fuel proof as powder, or as the original Mac paint. I think Mac used a diamond compound in their paint! You couldn't get it off with dynamite. The RAL 1023 powder does very well, of course. About all that gives powder a problem is the carb/brake cleaner spray. Alcohol doesn't bother it. I can't say much about gasoline, as don't run it, but I've certainly gotten purge gas and naphtha on powder before without any harm. I may well be wrong, but I seem to remember Scott Kneisel saying he used Rustoleum. Maybe I remember wrong. I do know that Scott used the canned paint instead of the rattle can stuff. Prismatic Powders makes a super good RAL 1023 powder. Ted

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:41 am

Rustoleum does pretty good with gas, as long as it isn't constantly soaked.
Pay attention to the rustoleum label that says finish all coats within an hour, or wait 48 hours to recoat.
If you ignore that warning, it WILL wrinkle on you and then you have to start over.
Try not to use brake cleaner for cleaning the engine.
I use WD40 to clean anything with oil and grease.

I haven't had any luck with powder coating an engine.
Oil that has soaked into the engine parts will cook out when you try to cure the powder at 400 degrees.
There are probably professional methods to overcome this problem, but it is much easier to grab the rattle can and be done with it.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 am

Terry, I only powder coat shrouds. I have not had a painted block since the early sixties.
BTW, I use the Kimberly Clark Wet Task plastic buckets with the pull up towels for cleaning the back half of the kart. You pour in your own solvent. I have one bucket with denatured alcohol and one bucket with the Armor All All- Purpose cleaner. It's the stuff that comes in the bottle with purple on it. Between the two, they'll even remove baked on castor and most chain oils. I switched from Tri Flow chain oil to the Xeramic stuff. It actually comes off with the cleaner towels. I will admit that it is a real job trying to buy the replacement towels. They only want to sell to institutions.
I told the last Kimberly Clark salesman that anybody who rides vintage karts ought to BE in an institution! Ted

dean kanocz
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp, Fox, Hornet, Bug, McCulloch, Lee Kart, Macs, WB's, Power Products

Post by dean kanocz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:27 am

I would suggest using an epoxy or etch primer on clean surface. Bead blasted is the best for adhesion. Wipe with a solvent based wax and grease remover or lacquer thinner and dry well with compressed air before priming. A light coat of sealer is all you need so your paint won't flake off. Then spray on your color. Medium coats work best to get your coverage- build. You can clear coat over color if you want extra protection.

The products mentioned are available in rattle cans. Most rattle can paint is over reduced to flow out of the can which affects durability. Many paint stores will make 2 part spray cans. You pull a plug on the bottom to activate the catalyst inside. These are more in line with automotive quality paints. They are a one and done deal as the catalyst hardens the paint in the can within a day or so.

My guess is McCulloch used acrylic enamel industrial paint back in the day. I have seen many factory pics of the yellow being sprayed over white primer sealer.

For my engines I want to look very nice and be durable I use automotive products. I had McCulloch yellow matched from the inside of a R1 wheel. The inner half had never seen sun and was closest original example available. I use base coat because it is easier to get in those darn fins. Then clearcoat with PPG 2021 or Diamont 5300 urethane clear.
Attachments
IMG_8483.jpg
IMG_8484.jpg

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Well, if anyone knows how to get paint to stay put, it is Dean! He does it for his daily bread, and his karts always look super. Ted :)

Alan Lewis

Post by Alan Lewis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 am

Thank you to all for your excellent suggestions. I ended up having my local auto paint supply store mix me up the color and put it in a couple of rattle cans. Next up is the obtaining the correct sticker and figuring out its placement on a MC-91C motor. Anyone running this motor with the original/correct stickers in the proper location that could post a picture? Thanks