Jack McClure Rocket Kart History and....

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Jack McClure Rocket Kart History and....

Post by Dick Teal » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Just finished talking to Brian. It's not an original rocket kart but the engines and tanks were the real deal. He put a lot of time into the project and had it at Brodhead and Quincy to show. He never fueled it up or tried to start the rockets. He talked to Jack early in the project and found that if you press the solenoid (gas pedal) to ignite the engines and decide that you might want to slow down or get (chicken) and let up you must not push the pedal again or the engines would explode.

The kart is still in the twin cities area hanging on a wall for display.

Fun project, Dick

ted johnson

Re: Jack McClure Rocket Kart History and....

Post by ted johnson » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiVRv1Z ... mb_rel_end

Neat vid from the Turbonique history. The quad engine dragster is TV Tommy Ivo's four nail-head Buick machine. I remember it sat in a showroom of a vacant business on East Colonial Dr. in Orlando for a long time. My ex and I knocked, but nobody came to the door. The kart with the big wheels used front dragster wheels. We saw it run a number of times. I thought it was scarier than the Dart with the high ground clearance. The guys at Turbonique, Middlebrooks, Stivers, Etc. were smart in engineering, but nuttier than fruitcakes.TJ
Attachments
mcclure_first_dart.png
mcclure_first_dart.png (301.36 KiB) Viewed 2907 times