Pulling the Pin

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Kurt Bogerman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1964(?) Rupp Grand Prix, MC 90, Safari Gearbox.
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Pulling the Pin

Post by Kurt Bogerman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 pm

My engine was a private sale from an estate. No hard feelings, whatsoever, on my part. As I heard during a Pens/Devils sportscast once, when NJ's superstar goalie, Martin Brodeur, got pulled from the net: "Even Betty Crocker burns the odd cake."

Kurt

ted johnson

Re: Pulling the Pin

Post by ted johnson » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm

While the things our good friend Bob says are quite true, I have a sort of a different take. EVERYBODY screws up once in a while. Just because I buy an engine or a kart from a person I know and trust doesn't mean that I'm not going to take the covers off and inspect the heck out of it before I start it up. Some sellers are great guys who make honest mistakes, some are people who bought a piece with the intention of beginning a new hobby. Then they realize it takes a lot more work and money than they'd thought. Then they sell off the things they bought without ever inspecting them, or having a knowledgeable person go over the piece. Some are just rotten ba$tards! The bottom line is: Take the time to check the ad over before you bid or buy, take all the covers off and put in fresh gaskets where you can. Check the torque on all fasteners when you have the covers off. Treat an engine as though it's a box of parts instead of an assembled engine. TJ