Dart Kart Story in Mansfield Paper

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Rick Chapman
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Bantam B-Bomb, 77' Hornet Enduro, 79' Hornet Wishbone Sprint, 1962 Blitz F-1000
User Agreement: Yes

Dart Kart Story in Mansfield Paper

Post by Rick Chapman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Check this out for the Micky Rupp stort in the Mansfield Newspaper
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/app ... 0880326026
I Never Thought I'd Be Vintage !!

Frank Payne
Vintage Karting items owned: lots a karts and engines

Re: Dart Kart Story in Mansfield Paper

Post by Frank Payne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:19 pm

I think that is Virg's kart that Quentin bought at the Big One a couple of years ago.

VirgLove

Post by VirgLove » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 am

What happened to Quinten's post or did I see it somewhere else. To senileto remember...

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 am

... yes, his post was over at the VKA site ...

http://vintagepowersport.com/vka/vka-fo ... .php?t=505

George Sellon

Post by George Sellon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:48 am

Virg, it's on the VKA site under "a Dart Kart story"
kart54.com

quentin haines

Post by quentin haines » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:58 am

No, Virg, you are not being overcome by senility. I posted my initial report on Jeff Campbell's other discussion site, the VKA forum. Your reply is there, too. And no, the Dart is not presently for sale, but I am very grateful for you selling it to me in the first place.

In case others of you care to read it, the story I posted on the VKA site has the topic name "A Dart Kart Story", and it explains a little more than just what the newspaper recounts. It also has the link to the article which appears on the internet.

The newspaper article and the kart photo were on the front page of the Mansfield paper last Thursday. The whole thing seems to have taken on a life of its own. One of my high school classmates picked up on it and spread it throughout our wide group of high school friends. Soon thereafter, I received a number of emails, one from a classmate in Florida who said that her daughter goes to school with Mickey Rupp's grandkids. She was forwarding the internet article on to their parents (Mick's kids) whom she has gotten to know.

On the wall in the diner where the Dart is displayed are two two-foot high posters I also provided having to do with the kart. One is a blowup of a 1959 Rupp advertisement showing the identical kart being offered for sale for $159.95. The other is an enlargement of an aerial photo (from Karting World mag) of the incredible Dart Kart Speedway accompanied by a short article about the then-upcoming GKCA Nationals which were held in Mansfield in 1961.

If you ever get to Mansfield, Ohio, the The Coney Island Diner is located at 98 N. Main St., and the food is great! All in all, last week was a very good week for the vintage karting part of my life.

Best wishes to everyone, Quentin

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 pm

If you enjoy rear engine karts like that rear engine beauty hung in this resturant don't forget to mark your calender to attend the worlds largest gathering of this style of kart at THE BIG ONE presented by Rear Engine American Racers in Fremont Ohio on Labor Day weekend 2008.

Check the R.E.A.R Guidelines for the simple kart specs all must follow and check the sticky at the top of the discussion page for the special discount motel rates for the most fun filled weekend in all of karting.

THE BIG ONE...American and Damn proud of it.

R.E.A.R.

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Tom Smith » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:50 am

#1 Rupp Team 1965.jpg
(57.16 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Bob Lapke sent some pictures his father took at the 1965 IKF Nationals to the Sugar River Raceway and they have them posted in their vintage photo gallery. This one is Mickey Rupps' #1 team kart which was probably taken before the race. I have some pictures of it winning the final heat race and it raced with a white seat instead of the black seat shown here. Driver Pete Berlt set the overall fastest time and won the C-Open National Championship.