Mounting the E65 on a Uni-Mount

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Mounting the E65 on a Uni-Mount

Post by REAR » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 am

If you read the Colossal Clinton thread on Terry Sullivan's big inch Clinton motor you know that I made mention of a Clinton E65 I acquired form Terry Sullivan and John McCorvey a.k.a. 'The Putt-Nik Dude. Well now its time to get the motor bolted up and fired up.

Since all of my karts have Rupp Uni-Mounts and I'm pretty sure no one ever cast a mounting plate for a Clinton to Dart Uni-Mount set-up I had to make up a steel side plate like those used to mount Mc and W-B engines. Since the Clinton engine is wider then the other engines a offset side plate with a chain guard was in order so the engine would clear the seat back tank. Basically I needed to move the engine rearward on the sideplate for the clearance I needed. Simple enough job, get a piece of 3/16 steel, Scribe out the plate with the needed crank centerline offset, cutout the plate, drill some holes, cut some slots. The G.E.M. chain guard I used had slots in it already so it was a simple bolt up.

Next up, a custom built lightweight clutch that anyone can build at home so stay tuned.

R.E.A.R.

Timothy Klatte
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex Challenger Mk4
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Mounting the E65 on a Uni-Mount

Post by Timothy Klatte » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 am

Nice work there-it seems that I am in a similar situation with mounting a West Bend 580 on my Simplex....Sometime in the kart's past life, someone modified the rear engine mounting plates and now it looks like the clutch will not line up with the sprocket.....I guess I'll have to make a new mount.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:18 pm

Make an intermediate mounting plate from aluminum plate rather than change the original mount...........unles it's already thrashed.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Did the same thing with the XP-1000 Homelite, except it didn't need the backward offset. TJ
Attachments
homeboy 009.jpg

Timothy Klatte
Vintage Karting items owned: Simplex Challenger Mk4
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Timothy Klatte » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:05 pm

001.JPG
This is where I'm starting...... I'll get a better pic when possible.