Moderator: Rob Voska

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects
User Agreement: Yes

Another 101 question?

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 am

Another question, I am new to 101s and it seems like the threads on the 101 crank on the flywheel side do not come fully out of the flywheel, leaving very little to catch with the nut when using a starter pully. The flywheel is fully seated on the taper. Is there a trick I am missing or is the reduced thread engagement sufficient. I would hate to send a flywheel flying! Thanks again for all the help.
Bob :?

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Re: Another 101 question?

Post by Jeff Campbell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Bob,
It is normal with a starter pulley on a 101 to have less than optimal thread engagement on the nut. I have always used the stock original flanged nuts (they are hardened), without any washers to get the most thread engagement possible. These nuts are 0.380" thick, and with a typical starter pulley you will have about 0.300" of thread engagement, maybe as little as 0.250". The key here is whether you can torque that nut to the factory spec of 300 to 360in-lbs with some locktite on it, then it should hold. Remember the starter torque on the starter pulley will act to loosen the flywheel nut, so that nut really needs to be tight. I've never done it, but you could turn down the pulley if it is very thick, to increase the thread engagement.

Jeff

jmendoza
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A-Bone, HumBug, Macs and a Blender, Panthers.

Post by jmendoza » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Flange nut, some Loc-Tite, and yes Jeff, we turned the thickness of the cup down a bit for more thread engagement.

Bob Towarnicki
Vintage Karting items owned: 65 Alley Kat Mc91
Narrow Hoop A Bone Mc91B
Various restoration projects
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Bob Towarnicki » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll turn down the pulley a little and buy some fresh loctite.
Bob