Ted Johnson

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Ted Johnson

Post by Brian Thomas » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Man I'll tell ya ,,,, that Ted Johnson,,,, Sure does some fine work .
Attachments
82_pto_case.pdf
(126.05 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

REAR

Re: Ted Johnson

Post by REAR » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Brian,

Can you offer up a bit more history and info on what you got there ?

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Hey, Guys. it's the PTO half of the old Ramos aftermarket crankcase that they made for the PP 58 and '82 back about 1960. I still have to do a complete drafting/dimension check on the flywheel side half. I had to run errands today, so I didn't get started on that sheet. You could put all the PP internals and ignition, shrouds, cylinder, Etc. onto the Ramos case. It was a heck of a lot stronger than factory, also mounted to the kart from the bottom of the case. The design was cool, but the old machining left a lot to be desired! I have to apologize to Brian. The CAD models have sat on my computer for a LOOOONG time! Ted

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 pm

When I first got into vintage karting , I was given ,, GIVEN , a large box of Power Products parts . This was in the bottom of the box . The ramos kit was offer by a fellow named Ramos out of Oklahoma (if I remember correctly) It has a provision to run a carb on top of the block and one at the back of the block . It also has dual bolt patterns where the jug attaches . You can run a 58 jug or an 82 jug . The 58/61 crank is used in this set up along with the 58/61 ignition and flywheel . This is a much more stable block than the base 58 or 82 block .

Ted is being very kind and taking the time to produce these wonderful drawings base on a very war torn block .

I hope to find someone to produce a few blocks using Ted's highly skilled works of art.

The one picture is a mock up of a hold down I will be using and a motor mount I will not be using .
Attachments
Ramos motor (5).jpg
Ramos motor (2).jpg
Ramos motor (2).jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 10808 times
Ramos motor (1).jpg
Ramos motor (1).jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 10808 times
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

REAR

Post by REAR » Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Brian,

Good to hear from you. Have not seen you and Dottie for a while, hope all is well.

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing this part of history.

Keep us updated on the progress of the project.

R.E.A.R.

steve welte
Vintage Karting items owned: mc 92

Post by steve welte » Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Well darn it Brain. That is Kool as heck. I hope you can get it done.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:44 am

Well, after all the nice things said about my CAD work, the old computer just up and quit. I had all the checking on Brian's drawings done, but couldn't make the changes on the models. :evil: Got it back from Scott P. a couple days ago, and did a quick piece for Paul Bennett last night. It seems fine now, and I should get Brian's case done in the next two days. CAD is a wonderful thing, but when the 20 year old computer gets grumpy, you sit and wait for the computer guy to do his magic. The most annoying thing is that there's a very nice processor sitting on the floor three feet from where I sit, but the computer guy is afraid to try to transfer the horribly expensive software. If the transfer should fail, that'd be all she wrote! Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

If you cna save the drawing files you should be OK. Lots of free shareware out there today.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Pro/E is O.K. now. The software was fine, it's just the old computer platform. I'm not anywhere near savvy enough to know how to use some freeware to run Pro/E. This software is quite old, and to buy a new seat would cost thousands. We ain't talking about AutoCAD here! I'm too old to start learning a new CAD program! The cheap ones can't begin to do what Pro/Engineer can do. The hardest thing is that it takes 25 minutes to get the old Presario up and running. Once it's up, you can work all day, but you have to work continuously. If you take a fifteen minute break, that's O.K., but if you take a 30 minute break, things go beddie bye, and you cannot wake it up. You have to shut down and start all over. I'm just firing up the old beast right now to do some GD&T corrections on Brian's drawings. Hope y'all have a good day. Be happy you ain't here... It'll be 100 today. Ted

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Come on Ted, remember what Cubel says....."its a dry heat". LOL !

R.E.A.R.