Moderator: Rob Voska

Dennis Detweiler
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Simplex
1974 Margay Concept Sprint
1984 Margay SR-16
Mc91b1

Margay Frame Bushings

Post by Dennis Detweiler » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Does Margay still make frame flex bushings? I want to replace the bushings in my 1974 Concept. Thanks

Rob Voska

Re: Margay Frame Bushings

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I think they were just auto shock bushings.

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you can use urethane skateboard truck bushings as well... I know Dan Flanders found some for his New Breed that worked well.

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dan Flanders » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi Dennis-
As Dean mentioned, I used urethane skateboard bushings on the suspension system for my New Breed. It seemed to work fairly well, but I had to buy a couple packs to get what I needed because one of the pieces is conical (I believe you will need two bushings per side). Also, I cut the bushings in half to get the suspension to get the right height.

If you don't have a skate board shop in town, you may try the local bike shop as some earlier Rock Shox forks also use a similar urethane bushing. The cool thing about the skateboard bushings is they come in different durometers so you can further fine tune the stiffness of the rear end should you so desire. If neither of these are appealing options, call Robert Stanton. He has bushing for the Chapparels that would probably work as well.

I've since gone to nylon washers (available at just about any hardware store) which pretty much lock out the rear end as I've been trying different set ups in an effort to get the chassis to handle better. For some reason my New Breed goes like stink in a straight line, but turns like an old Chevy Viking with no power steering. I can do about 10 laps before my forearms are toast. If anyone has some suggestions on how to make it handle better, I would appreciate it...The chassis is straight near as I can tell and the toe-in is set at 1/16"

Dan

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual

Post by Tom Smith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 am

TSmith-4.jpg
(69.36 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
J Whitehead.jpg
(410.13 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Comet may have the bushings. I think they are the same ones used on Concept enduro tanks. I bought a package of them from Comet but never actually got around to using them. The ones I'm thinking of look exactly like automotive shock absorber bushes like Rob said.
Dan, I've made steering shafts for several early and late Margay Cheetahs so you can actually steer them. The New Breeds are front steer also I think like the early Cheetahs. Different length tie rods (longer) are necessary.
I always slowed down the steering on twin engine Chaparrals just enough to still be able to still catch it unless you get clobbered from behind. Lower the pitman arm/tie rod bolt hole about 1.5 hole diameters and it makes them much much easier to drive also.
As for bushings on the Chaparrals I'd throw those away and make it as stiff as you can.
Both my Chaparrals are set up this way mainly because Jim Whitehead gave me the set up from his Chaparral which never lost a race!

Bill Johnson

Post by Bill Johnson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 am

Dan Flanders wrote:Hi Dennis-
As Dean mentioned, I used urethane skateboard bushings on the suspension system for my New Breed. It seemed to work fairly well, but I had to buy a couple packs to get what I needed because one of the pieces is conical (I believe you will need two bushings per side). Also, I cut the bushings in half to get the suspension to get the right height.

If you don't have a skate board shop in town, you may try the local bike shop as some earlier Rock Shox forks also use a similar urethane bushing. The cool thing about the skateboard bushings is they come in different durometers so you can further fine tune the stiffness of the rear end should you so desire. If neither of these are appealing options, call Robert Stanton. He has bushing for the Chapparels that would probably work as well.

I've since gone to nylon washers (available at just about any hardware store) which pretty much lock out the rear end as I've been trying different set ups in an effort to get the chassis to handle better. For some reason my New Breed goes like stink in a straight line, but turns like an old Chevy Viking with no power steering. I can do about 10 laps before my forearms are toast. If anyone has some suggestions on how to make it handle better, I would appreciate it...The chassis is straight near as I can tell and the toe-in is set at 1/16"

Dan

This kart has way too much akkermen and Castor in it. Put a center point steering shaft in it to reduce the akkerman. You also need to reduce the castor from 15 to 10 degrees. The rear needs to flex with the rubber dohdoh bushings. Do not lock it up solid or you will have a bad push. One you do this you will have power steering. I did this to my Concept Laydown. Before you couldnt make one lap without having to rest for an hour.
MacDaddy

Bert Power
Vintage Karting items owned: 12 Margays, 2 Kings, 2 Bugs, 1 Hellcat, 1 Dart

Post by Bert Power » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 am

Those are Chevy shock bushings. Go to your local GM dealer, look up the oldest parts man you can find, and tell him you're looking for late 60's Nova bushings. You can buy a bag of them for less than half what comet charges.

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners

Post by Dan Flanders » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input. It is nice to hear that that others have had similar issues and its not just my kart that handles like a dump truck. Dennis, I apologize if I've hijacked your thread. Hopefully, this discussion is pertinent to your kart as well.
I've made steering shafts for several early and late Margay Cheetahs so you can actually steer them. The New Breeds are front steer also I think like the early Cheetahs. Different length tie rods (longer) are necessary.
Tom did you buy a steering shaft kit from Azusa and have it welded to your specs? Also, I imagine you flipped the steering arms to rear steer and swapped sides. Is that correct? or are the Margay steering arms side specific?
This kart has way too much akkermen and Castor in it. Put a center point steering shaft in it to reduce the akkerman. You also need to reduce the castor from 15 to 10 degrees.
Bill thanks for the specific information. Same question to you regarding flipping the steering arms and swapping sides. As far as layout for the center steering location, I imagine you adjust the length of the steering shaft so that pivot point cause the tie rods to be parallel going straight?
Lastly, how did you adjust the castor? Did you use a big pipe and an magnetic inclinometer (or according to JSJ an angle of the dangle meter :) or something a little more scientific?
you're looking for late 60's Nova shock bushings
Thanks Bert. Kind of makes sense as Margay used GM engine orange and metallic blue for their kart colors.

Dan

Bill Johnson

Post by Bill Johnson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Dan,

I made a simple small jig for the front end and took my measurements. Then I cut off the yokes and welded them back on at 10 degrees.

Steering shaft I welded the lower end on to the shaft rear steer like original. I then had to make new longer tie rods. A little paint back on it and you cant tell its been touched.

Dont flip the spindles and swap sides to make a front steer. The the total camber that is built into the spindle will change. It will be reversed.

Here is a place to get the bushings.
http://store.caliskatz.com/index.asp?Pa ... tegory=396
Last edited by Bill Johnson on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacDaddy

Dennis Detweiler
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Simplex
1974 Margay Concept Sprint
1984 Margay SR-16
Mc91b1

Post by Dennis Detweiler » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 pm

Nothing hijacked. I'm open for all info. And thanks for the replies from everyone.