THE BIG ONE 2008 !

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Re: THE BIG ONE 2008 !

Post by REAR » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:38 am

Jeff,

Great to hear you and Devin are coming back. We say it over and over but its because of folks like you guys who make this event the best in all of karting.

Have to ask, what color did you paint the Blitz ? :lol:

R.E.A.R.

Jeff Troy
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart Super K/PP-AH58, Homelite Spitfire LA-1/KL-82/LR-82
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Jeff Troy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:59 am

Hi, Rob & Bob,

Thanks, guys. We hope you know, in turn, that the way you and your outstanding volunteer crew run this event will keep us coming as long as we can. Devin had a concert scheduling problem last year, but this year looks clear. The Big One is all fun from start to finish, and the camaraderie is top shelf.

What color? Duh! Our karts are all part of our mock Red Rose Racing "team" thing, so the Blitz is our usual Fire Red with a Homelite Off-White tuck & roll cockpit and a matching off-white modified MC-91. The colors are not original, but since they had paint and vinyl in the early 1960's, our colors are positively period correct (no ghost flames or ChromIllusion). Back in 1960-1962, I painted my Spitfire LA in a different color at least five different times because I absolutely hated Homelite's original tomato orange/red.

Only our wheels differ from kart to kart, according to their original or period-correct equipment. Devin's Super K has polished 4-inch and 6-inch original Hands aulminum. The A-Bone has polished Rupp Turbines. The Go Kart 800 has polished 4-inch and 5-inch (optional) Asuza Feather Torques, and the two Spitfires (live and stub axle versions) have the correct 4-inch and 6-inch original Dico wheels painted in Homelite Off-White. The new Blitz has the original version Go Power wheels in gold, although we chose to mix the paint just a bit brighter than the original color.

Some of you Go Kart Mfg. fans might find it interesting to know that the original equipment mechanical Posi-Stop Disk Brake on our 800 -- the same one that Duffy described for me in Quincy as "that brake sucks" -- got a bit of an internal reworking from Randal last year, and now stops like a brick wall every time.

Every part for the Blitz is fully restored, cut and fitted, triple-show-chromed, sewn, painted or polished and ready for final assembly. I should be able to start wrenching later this week in hopes of running it at Oreville before mid-May. Still have to try to catch Anthony's 820 Bender/Blitz, and we're all trying to beat Carl!

Devin and I are doing our best to talk Lisa into going to The Big One with us. We have two English Setters and she's worried about them. We're letting her know that dogs are okay at the track and the hotel. They'd probably have a lot of fun with Dotti & Brian's lab. Midnight?

By the way, the dual Power Products stub-axle Homelite Spitfire that I ran last year was built for Lisa, although she's never driven it. This old trooper turned out to be a really great-running and smooth-handling machine, but I stuck one of the 58's pretty badly at Oreville last summer. I'm trying to find a new piston, rings and cylinder in time for the season. If anyone has these available or knows someone who might have them, please call the cell: 717-917-3670.

I've been really busy since taking on a second hobby magazine and writing for a third. That's why I haven't been on the boards as much as I used to. Still interested and just as opinionated, but often just too crazy to read or respond. Love everybody anyway!

Warmest regards to all,
Jeff Troy
759 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster PA 17602
717-917-3670 (Leave message and I will return your call)
http://www.bradleygt.com
http://www.jefftroy.com (Under Construction)

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Jeff
You NEED to get that 58 going so you and I can play !!!! :lol: :lol:
Yours is the only other stub axle dual 58 kart that I know of .
Brian
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:17 am

Is there going the fuel ( alky ) at the track this year to purchase ?
Brian
Black Dog Vintage Racing

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 am

Dan Lotz usually brings it IF YOU ORDER IT AHEAD OF TIME. Otherwise there is no fuel available at the track.

Brian Thomas

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Hey Dan are you bringing any fuel this year ? I could use 3-5 gallons of alky .
Thanks
Brian
Black Dog Vintage Racing

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 am

The days are getting shorter and the big weekend approaches... I have about 3 hours of work to get the machines ready, and I'm getting antsy to see all the good people once again. Charlie has Dad's old Scorpion about ready, and it hasn't seen the track since the early sixties! I have the VT all but ready, with Michael Burke's help. It looks great - I have no idea if the engine will even run! Dave B. has the flu, so I don't know if he'll feel well enough to finish the 610 in time. Fun days ahead! Ted

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:17 pm

Google Maps

Fremont Raceway Park
708 Bartson Rd
Fremont, OH 43420
[map]track[/map]

Holiday Inn- Fremont
3422 N. State Rt.53
Fremont Ohio 43420
link to Holiday Inn Google Map

Last year at TBO, video starts out with my Dual Rear Chaparral getting fired up!
CLICK HERE to watch in Large HD Video mode (requires high speed Internet connection)

Rick Neel
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 Rupp A Bone

Post by Rick Neel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Rob and Bob,

Many thanks for a job well done. Everyone seemd to have a good time and it looked like you had the biggest turn out ever.

Keep up the good work.