West Bend 820

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

jeff gates
Vintage Karting items owned: "none"
User Agreement: Yes

West Bend 820

Post by jeff gates » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I bought a 1965 Rupp Enduro (The Big "E") a couple of years ago,(no side tanks-floor tank) and have been trying to restore it to running condition. Last year , I brought it to The Big One, with the intent , to sell, but I got the kart bug, back, while I was there. Since then- I purchased a US 820- obviously, not an oldie, but I always raced 820's, when I was a young racer. Anyway- I don't know what year it is. Was hoping to do a few laps, this year? It's a gas motor anyway, with no modifications, that I can see. I noticed you don't allow 2007 ? Don't know what I have, at this point? Saw a bunch of sidewinders there , last year? Don't know, if they got on the track, but I will be there anyway. A little confused here, as I'm thinking, I won't actually be racing ? Maybe someone could tell me how to ID my motor year (please?) I plan to have a great time , this year-no matter what the rules are- even if I don't get a lap. I loved the event , last year. Thanks, Jeff

Rob Voska

Re: West Bend 820

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 am

How many stuffer bolts? No sidewinders on the track at TBO. They are allowed at the Big Bang the 1st of July.

REAR

Post by REAR » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 am

Jeff,

At Fun Days we let anything from vintage McCulloch powered rear engine karts all the way to modern Yamaha powered sidewinder karts lap however at THE BIG ONE we stick to American fan cooled engines on American rear engine karts only. THE BIG ONE is a tribute to America's early karting history and we strive to replicate it with the American only iron.

We do however allow anything to be sold at THE BIG ONE so perhaps that's where you seen the modern sidewinder style karts. They can be sold but they will not be run at TBO.

We are having a fun day next weekend, if you can bring your engine up someone should be able to answer almost any question you might have.

If you can't make next weekend bring your engine with you to TBO and stop by the REAR table for some answers to your questions or just to say "HI".

R.E.A.R.

jeff gates

Post by jeff gates » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks much- my stuffer has four bolts.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Some of the new blocks still have four stuffer bolts, like my new 610 has. If the width of the stuffer mount pad is symmetrical about the four bolt holes, it's an old style block. If one side is wider beyond the bolt holes, it's a new style block. My new 610 has the new style block, but has four bolts on the asymmetrical base. It's a much stronger casting, but is improper for TBO, unless Rob and Bob have updated the guidelines. I would imagine that the new 820 unassembled kart engine kits will have the new style block. They'll be sold with the appropriate kart parts like the Mac style tapered crank and the single ring piston, as well as the "good" connecting rod. I believe they'll also come with the 240-250KSI rod screws, too. The cylinder will come unplated so you can do your own port work. I haven't heard whether the plating will be included in the price, or if it's a separate charge. So far, I hear prices in the $525 range. If these prices hold, it'll be a bargain indeed. I might be tempted to go big-inch myself! Ted

jeff gates

Post by jeff gates » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks, Ted, for the info- I believe I have the old block. Like I said- I will be there, anyway.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Jeff, you will not regret the trip, I promise. Rob and Bob put on a whale of an event. Low pressure, friendly and plenty of good track time. The Lee's chicken for lunch is pretty good, too! I sure will miss going this year. Ted