Just Kart Stuff

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

jeff gates
Vintage Karting items owned: "none"
User Agreement: Yes

Just Kart Stuff

Post by jeff gates » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm restoring (to race) a 1965 Rupp Big "E" Enduro. Needless to say- I don't have the original tanks, but I need to know, some basicfacts. Fuel- when using gas- for a US 820, the mix, and what oil to mix ? Chain tension ? Dad- always did the work. I drove. Duh ? Thanks-ahead of time- if you have the time.

REAR

Re: Just Kart Stuff

Post by REAR » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am

Jeff,

Asking a karter for a gas-oil mix preference is like asking a little kid what his favorite flavor of ice cream is. What I'm trying to say is that fuel mixes are a personal thing and everybody has there own ideas as to what is best.

Have had very good luck with Klotz KL 100 super techniplate mixed at the 8-1. This oil can be mixed with either gas or alky. This oil is readily available from most kart shops and it has a proven track record for over 50 years. Follow the mixing instructions on the back of the bottle.

Always keep in mind that if you use any oil with a castor base-mix that no matter how small the amount of castor you will need to flush the castor oil out of the carb and engine after a day of running to prevent at the very least the carb needles from sticking while the engine is not in operation for extended periods of time.

A mixture of 8-1 gasoline with Marvel Mystery oil is a good flush mix. Simply run your engine at a low idle with this Marvel mix for a short time on a stand, under no load and you should be good.

This video will give you a basic idea on chain adjustment though its direct drive on a modern sidesaddler type of kart the principals are the same as far as chain slack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0Et-ONs1s

R.E.A.R.

jeff gates
Vintage Karting items owned: "none"
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Just Kart Stuff

Post by jeff gates » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks, for the helpful, speedy reply.