D-44/55 Mac saws

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ted johnson

Re: D-44/55 Mac saws

Post by ted johnson » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Terry, if you're deciding to upgrade the D44/D55 performance, a simple 4 petal Homelite reed and a 1" Tilly HL are more than enough. Don't even think about using an HR on such a small engine. Even a 1" HL may well be too much. The airstream velocity through the venture will be insufficient for decent fuel pickoff, and your low speed -to-high speed transition will be awful. You may end up with a 3/4" or 13/16" Tilly. Ted

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Terry Bentley » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:03 am

Getting rid of the stock intake and reeds will make a huge difference on the saw. The Mc49MC for its original use came with a BDC 22 carb and ran pretty well. But the HR Tillotson I had in mind only has a 1" venturi. So it may be worth a try. if I work out a decent reed setup, should work fairly well. But it is still just gonna be a toy.

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Terry,
I believe I have a limited number of power extra head parts for the D44. I have built a couple 72cc engines out of them for my grandson and a friends granddaughter. I ended up crafting my own aluminum manifold and using the saw flat reed plate. I used HL88 carbs and they ran great, decent power and great for a couple young kids.
I'll check to see what I have.

They also have a smaller diameter rod journal on the bottom end and use a couple less rod needles than the larger engines.

PM me or send me an email at chuckie72us@yahoo.com.

Scott

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs

Post by Scott Kneisel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:50 pm

OK, I checked.
I have 3 cranks, 2 rods, 1 piston and a couple sets of rings.
I probably have a couple blocks and maybe even a complete short block out in the shed.
All available,
Scott

Terry Bentley
Vintage Karting items owned: Kavalla Rupp Hornet Bug Margay Cates, Ala Kart

Post by Terry Bentley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:59 am

Thanks for checking your surplus parts. I needed a set of rings and found them a couple weeks ago. Next is digging out everything and seeing what else is missing.

I forgot the D44/55 had a smaller rod journal. Never had a reason to tear one down, except to remove the head and shrouds. But this saw is at least getting new seals, and bearings if needed. So if something is bad I will holler.

This one model 55 I have going together can take a bar on either side of gearbox. So I was going to use both bars at the same time. Instead of sawing and splitting firewood, this way I can just make biscuits out of the smaller diameter trees to throw on the fire.