Westbend 820 crank

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Bob Cornwell
Vintage Karting items owned: Hmm only hotsaws so far

Westbend 820 crank

Post by Bob Cornwell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 pm

I bought a Westbend / US820 Power Bee with a cut off crank the leftover stub would only be 1/2" long
What was the use or reason the crank has had the PTO shaft lopped off ?

REAR

Re: Westbend 820 crank

Post by REAR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:45 am

Bob,

Most all West Bend engines were made for industrial applications and they continue that tradition today so if the crank end was not cut or broke off you have a power plant for something other then a kart.

Pretty sure the 820 was used on generators, water pumps, jaws-of-life and many other applications.

Don't have a lot of experience with 820 industrial engines so not real sure what their port layout is. Is the port layout on your engine the same as a kart engine or does it have blocked off ports similar to a McCulloch saw exhaust port ?

A crankshaft swap and some minor port work might be all you need for a kart engine conversion but if your using the engine for something else the stock porting may work well for you.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:16 am

I had one a few years ago that had the clutch hub irrevocably frozen onto the crank. It also had an Akkerman oil housing between clutch and engine. The only way out was to cut the crank and replace it. This could be a reason your engine has a stubbie. TJ

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Ultralight motor
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Bob Cornwell

Post by Bob Cornwell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Ultralight motor
Don't think so as then there would be nowhere to mount the prop drive boss if it used a reduction drive

It's funny the shaft has been cut as now the engine is useless but in my case I bought it to get the cylinder as my old one had busted mounting bosses so now I have a few spares for future rebuilds

Bob Cornwell

Post by Bob Cornwell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 pm

REAR wrote:Bob,

Most all West Bend engines were made for industrial applications and they continue that tradition today so if the crank end was not cut or broke off you have a power plant for something other then a kart.

Pretty sure the 820 was used on generators, water pumps, jaws-of-life and many other applications.

Don't have a lot of experience with 820 industrial engines so not real sure what their port layout is. Is the port layout on your engine the same as a kart engine or does it have blocked off ports similar to a McCulloch saw exhaust port ?

A crankshaft swap and some minor port work might be all you need for a kart engine conversion but if your using the engine for something else the stock porting may work well for you.

R.E.A.R.
No blocked off ports and the port layout is the same as the rest of the 820's I have seen

Biggest difference I have seen is the rod and piston assy

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Bob Cornwell wrote:
Don't think so as then there would be nowhere to mount the prop drive boss if it used a reduction drive

It's funny the shaft has been cut as now the engine is useless but in my case I bought it to get the cylinder as my old one had busted mounting bosses so now I have a few spares for future rebuilds
Props were mounted on the flywheel side by means of a hub .
Some had the outer air shrouds removed and the fins on the flywheel shaved .
No need for a PTO.
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

Bob Cornwell

Post by Bob Cornwell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
Bob Cornwell wrote:

Props were mounted on the flywheel side by means of a hub .
Some had the outer air shrouds removed and the fins on the flywheel shaved .
No need for a PTO.
Ah so that could be it Brian didn't think of that ............. Thanks Black Dog