What is this worth?

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

josh carrell
Vintage Karting items owned: simplex, Sprint, bug wasp, Dart Kart A bone, Sears Kart, Hornet lP2 Enduro.

What is this worth?

Post by josh carrell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 pm

This kart showed up on ebay and I am sure there are a few of you who have already seen it. I am wondering if it is worth what the opening bid is. I do like these funky offbrand karts but I have no experience with this model and have no desire to waist cash on something that may have no value but for me.

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

Re: What is this worth?

Post by david a luciani » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm

took me a while but i found the ebay ad.
i was floored to see it's a sears racer kart.
i have a beat one and never expected to see another.
i'll keep the number out so you can have your shot.

they were built way earlier than the seller knows, i would bet Sears kept selling them till they ran out of stock.
it's listed as one of the racing karts of the day in Complete book of Karting by Dick Day published 1961 (see pix)
the brakes are dual and well thought out , the gas set up is good too.
they're built about the size of a gk800 but the steering is weird , like a lawn tractor front end.
no idea how it handles , mine has been thru the mill it was clearly wrecked and redone alot.

as far as price, depends on if you like it - with shipping it's pretty steep.
but, all it needs is rubber and motors.
also, it looks flawless so that's a plus no real work and you'd win on rarest kart often.
if i had the cash i would be considering it.
if you do buy it please - please - please lots of color pix so i can do mine right..
my two cents
Attachments
racer kart.jpg
book reference from Complete book of karting by Dick Day and editors of kart magazine, dated 1961
(128.03 KiB) Downloaded 80 times