Chrome bore Mac 101's

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Chrome bore Mac 101's

Post by mcbob » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:56 pm

chromebore 135cc Mc-101s ........... i read in Tom Smith comments about the further develped version of the Mac 101 with the upgrade to chrome bore and more capcity to 133cc these comments brought to light an engine i never knew exsisted and now i have a bigger deeper thirst for more info or perhaps the odd photo of either the chrome bore 101 or the mystry 102.

I have just been through the photo's of Adams on the VKA site and quess what i didn't see the 102 there, i wonder if Jay would be kind enough to put me out of my misery and post a pic or two either in posting them on site or sending a personal copy to me ozflea@bigpond.com.au
man i would truely appreciate your efforts if you could ..............

Mc Bob.

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Re: Chrome bore Mac 101's

Post by Jeff Campbell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Mc Bob,
Yup, I saw the MC102 at Adams, I missed getting a photo of it, but seriously, it was only a humorous sticker put on a MC101.

There was some discussion a while back about the Savin modified MC101s, which were blocks made with no liner, which left enough "meat" to bore it bigger than anyone could with the stock liner, of course, the aluminum bore had to be chrome plated. Last comment I remember reading said the few motors that Savin built, where destroyed in a fire that consumed where they were stored.

Jeff

lynn haddock
Vintage Karting items owned: Over 100 Vintage karting engines

Post by lynn haddock » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:16 pm

This would make a real slick setup but I would use Nikasil instead of chrome for the wall material.

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Post by mcbob » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:25 am

Thanks Jeff yes those sort of comments were in the old forum i,m sure as the name Savins jogged my memory ........... I have a mate in Sydney who worked for both McCulloch then St George Kart Centre he did similier boring a 101 then using a thinner sleeve and a special piston made by wiesco build a big bore engine but always ended up with an air leak from the cylinder where it had been pressed into the bore, Gordon at one stage i believe used a small bore Renault piston in it till Wiesco built a better one.

Gordon assured me it was a very grunty engine and very fast.

Mc Bob.