Power Products chainsaw/kart motors AH58

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Bob Jordan
Vintage Karting items owned: none
User Agreement: Yes

Power Products chainsaw/kart motors AH58

Post by Bob Jordan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 pm

does anyone know the differences between kart and chainsaw AH58's? I assume porting, but has anyone been in both and really know. also.. the chainsaws I believe are right hand but how can one tell the direction of one that is presented as kart and has no recoil. Is there a code on the model plate or another indicator. thanks

REAR

Re: Power Products chainsaw/kart motors AH58

Post by REAR » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Bob,

Kart engine crankshaft will stick out of block almost 3 inches.

Usually the engine will only spark going in the correct direction of its rotation.

If you can make it to THE BIG ONE on Labor Day weekend you will find some of the best Power Products experts will be in attendance and they would be more then happy to answer any question you may have.

R.E.A.R.

Bob Jordan
Vintage Karting items owned: none

Post by Bob Jordan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 pm

thanks.. does the crank have a keyway, I see chainsaw takes a nut, kart take a bolt. do people cut off the threaded area and tap a hole for a bolt. is the hp the same.

can't make it to the big one.. its so far

REAR

Post by REAR » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:33 am

Bob,

Kart crankshaft is 'keyed' from the factory. Modifying a saw motor for a kart application was and is common practice.

R.E.A.R.

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown

Post by Brian Thomas » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:57 pm

P.P. saws came either right or left . One was gear drive , one was not. Saw exhaust ports are different than kart ones. Saw exhaust ports center hole is smaller . There are many styles of pto's for saw cranks . Some can be made to work on a kart application .

Hank just had a AH58 kart motor on ebay for 500.00 with no bidders . You might think about getting that one . I guarantee you could not build an alky kart motor with the goodies it had for that kind of money .

Just a thought .
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name