Please flush it.....safely

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Please flush it.....safely

Post by REAR » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

If your running alcohol and or for that matter castor oil in either your alky or gas fuel mix you will want to flush your engine out at the end of the day. Alcohol is very corrosive and castor oil becomes very sticky if the primary fuel evaporates so you want to flush out your engine with a good non ethanol gasoline using a synthetic or petroleum based motor oil after each run and you also need to do it safely.

Follow along for a flush bottle build that is cheap and easy to build plus it also provides some added safety by utilizing a check valve to eliminate flammable fume discharges and helps to prevent dangerous spills if the bottle tips over while in use.

First step is to get together the need parts which are fairly common items and most have easy access to plus one of parts can be purchased off of Ebay for as little as a couple bucks.

Ok. lets get started, first item you need is a large mouth plastic bottle like many motor oil bottles of today utilize, other items are 4ft. of fuel line, a inline fuel filter, 2 - 5/16th bolts, 4 - 5/16th nuts, and a inline fuel check valve which can be bought off of Ebay.

Notice the large mouth opening on the bottle. The large mouth is needed so that you can drill and fit 2 bunges through the bottle cap.

Take the 5/16th bolts and cut them off to form bunges which will be bolted through the top of the bottle cap.

Once you have the bolts cut it is time to drill a hole thru the center of the bolt for both fuel and air to pass through. Drilling is best done on a lathe but can also be accomplished in a drill press but with great care.

Once you get the bunges done, drill 2, 5/16 inch holes in the bottle cap and install the bunges in the cap. You are now ready to hook up the related fuel and air lines.

Pick any of one of the bunges coming through the cap and install your check valve with a piece of plastic fuel line so that the bottle is able to draw air but won't allow fuel to run out if the bottle is tipped over. Note the direction of the arrow, this is the direction the valve opens in.

On the remaining bunge put a piece of fuel line down below the cap that is about 2 inches short of touching the bottle bottom when the cap is installed and slide your inline fuel filter into the fuel supply line near the bottle bottom so that you are assured that you flush will be filtered before it goes to your engine.

Take a piece of fuel line at least 3 ft long and install it top side of the filtered bunge, this will be your engine feed line and 3ft should give you plenty of working room when you are flushing.

When not in use slip the carb feed line over the check valve intake top and you have a completely sealed system for transport. When needed for flushing simply pull the hose off the top of the check valve and slip it on to your carb fuel inlet.

There you have it, a safe effective system for flushing out your favorite American racing engine.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Re: Please flush it.....safely

Post by ted johnson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:50 am

Darn nice article, Bob and Rob. There's an addendum to the story. Seems that ethanol-diluted gas is showing up as a pretty bad thing. I had issues at Fremont with the 610, and there was white goop in my fuel screens, as well as some amber colored solid stuff. The problem reoccurred at Riverside, and Terry Ives came to my rescue with new fuel screens and bowl gaskets. Lo and behold, it wasn't water or other gook in my methanol as I had thought, but the problem stems from ethanol-infused gasoline i use for purge. Several guys have pointed out this same problem on the "Vintage Karts" site. I have looked here for ethanol-free gas, but no luck. The ATV/bike shops have an additive that neutralizes the tendency of the ethanol to attract water, and that is one route to use. The other is 100 octane low-lead from the local airport. I will go that route on my engines. Anyhow, be aware of the hygroscopic properties of alcohol. This same white goop issue came up many years ago before we learned to purge the alky from our engines. Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:08 pm

You can also use Colman lantern fuel (white gas). Some of the racing gas is corrosive (some are not) but better than the white death fuzz from alky. Some marina's have ethanol free gas. Seems being close to the water is not a good fit either.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Hey, Rob. Marinas are hard to come by in the Great Sonoran Desert! Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Ted try an oasis......

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Mike Anderson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:17 am

Guy's,
I flush with mineral spirits and Klotz mixture. Works on my kart engines and my Indy car. Might want to try it.
Later Mike

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Art and I went to PHX this morning to get alky for Pruit Ginsberg and me. They had Sunoco race gas there, so I bought a gallon. It wasn't till I got home and looked at the invoice that I realized I paid $3.00/gallon for the alcohol and $10.00 for ONE gallon of race gas.... Next time I'll use the airport in Casa Grande for purge fuel! The only reservation I have about Coleman fuel is that it's pretty much pure naphtha, and has an octane rating of about 55. Ted

Paul Hunter
Vintage Karting items owned: 61-62 blitz mc6
bug sprint mc91
rupp abone dual mc49
dart mc91
mc100, mc93
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Paul Hunter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am

Hey Ted - surprisingly some of the sunoco race gas has 10% ethanol in it. You can check out the specs on their website, very dissapointing!
Paul

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 pm

Paul, I asked the guys at the Sunoco depot specifically whether there was ethanol in the gas, and they said that there wasn't. I'll be a little "grouchy" if I find out they were blowing smoke! Thanks. Ted

REAR

Post by REAR » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:29 pm

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Click on the state at the bottom of the page.

R.E.A.R.