weld jig tables

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Re: weld jig tables

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 am

Craigslist! Pay for them to cover material and they will haul them away.

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:50 am

ImageImageImage

Posted for Ted because he's.........o.....l.....d

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks...right in the neck! Ted

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:12 am

With all the CNC benders that are out there why didn't you bend the main frame in 1 pc? Just askin.....

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:14 am

Rob, finding a bend guy around here isn't easy, and they're expensive. Pruit found this fellow in Los Alamos, NM. He just uses a JD Squared hand bender. With the spudded joint only behind the axle bearing hangers, it won't matter. It's just a matter of grinding the one groove weld and two plug welds per rail. Easy enough, and with the heavy wall lathe turned spuds, the joints will be as strong or stronger than the parent tubes. I actually considered putting a chromed bolt-on bumper back there, but it would've made the frame look too modern. With the splayed flat rails, the darn thing already looks like a REAR Bucket Bug! The Cheetah seat will help to fix that illusion. My bro-in-law, Art is here now, and between he and I, we have jig table No. 2 almost ready to begin adding the positioning blocks. I already built the "pylon" jig for my steering hoop tubes, so the rest is just screws and Titebond III. Dean Kanocz is going to fishmouth the front ends of the main rails and the ends of the porch tubes on the mill later this week.
Dean runs a custom/classic car shop in Mesa, AZ. He just finished painting his McCulloch R1, and man, is it pretty! I'd love to talk him into TBO this year. He and his father, Joe have some of the most perfect restored muscle cars you ever drooled over. Lots of big show wins. There's a '61 bubble Top Ventura with the rare Tri Power 421 that I would kill for. Ted

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 am

Well, thanx to the hands, eyes and mind of my brother-in-law, Art, the second kart is mostly jigged. We're waiting for Dean Kanocz to tell us when to bring him the main rails for fishmouthing on the mill.
A really big shout-out and "Thank You" to Jack Canady for bending/welding two of the prettiest front axles you ever saw. Pix will follow in a few days. Ted

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Like always , Ted your work is first rate.
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Thank you, Brian. Art and I finished the seat struts today, then ripped Pruit's frame apart so Dean Kanocz can fishmouth the nain rails Tuesday. As soon as we re-jig it and add front axle and porch, I'll take more pix and beg Rob to post them. Ted

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Well,with Art's help, the karts are jigged. Ron Cubel picked 'em up today, and he and I are off to Ben Herr's tomorrow for welding. Pix after welding. Ted

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:29 am

The frames are welded and look fine. Ben Herr put in about five hours solid welding Saturday and did his usual wonderful job. Mine is ready to head to Albuquerque Friday for powder coat. I tried to upload a picture, but I get the "sorry, board attachment quota has been reached" message. I have a freah computer here, but a cable had to be ordered so that I can run the old computer with Pro/Engineer CAD and switch over to the new one so I can run a single keyboard and screen. Ted