Reservations For TBO

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Scott Kneisel
Vintage Karting items owned: '63 Rupp Grand Prix, 66 Rupp Chappy, Mc6's, Mc8, Mc10's, Mc20's
Lotsa' other Macs
User Agreement: Yes

Reservations For TBO

Post by Scott Kneisel » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Sam P and I are all set for the Red Roof Inn in Clyde for $83 per night.
We are both excited about TBO this year, I have my Clinton all tuned up and will see how it does at Avon this weekend. Next stop TBO. Sam will be bringing his dual again, what a contrast huh!!
Anyway we will see you all there for another great time.

REAR

Re: Reservations For TBO

Post by REAR » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:02 am

Just made my reservations at the Clyde Red Roof also on Monday. Spoke with Jim Donovan and he said him and Frank Weir are also booked in at the Red Roof.

Heading to Avon mid morning so I'll see you this afternoon Scott.

Bob.

Here's the motel list again for those still looking for lodging.

We have tried unsuccessfully to secure a 'base' hotel for this years participants at THE BIG ONE and for some unforeseen reasons the lodging chains we have contacted have been unwilling to even so much as return our phone calls.

With the lodging situation being what it is we would like to be as helpful to you as possible by offering a list of some of the local lodging facilities along with their contact numbers that you can use to make your lodging reservations [see below]. May we also suggest that you try one of the many on-line discount travel services such as Priceline, Trivago, Travelocity, etc. and see if they can offer you any discounted rates. Please also be reminded that it is always wise to do a web search to make sure your lodging choice is up to your standards.

If we can be of any additional help with your lodging needs please feel free to post any questions you might have and we will try our best to answer them.

Below listed is a partial list of the Fremont area motels for your reference.

Fremont Holiday Inn Express 1-877-859-5095

Hampton Inn 1-855-271 3622

Comfort Inn 1-855-973-7215

Travel Lodge 1-800-257-2297

Clyde Ohio Red Roof inn 1-855-873-6562

On the plus side, we will be returning to Anjulina's Banquet Hall for our traditional Saturday night dinner and awards banquet. Complete directions and GPS coordinates to Anjulina's are listed below.

Anjulina's Catering and Banquet Hall
2270 West Hayes Ave.
Fremont Ohio 43420

DIRECTIONS
When leaving the track at the stop sign at the end of Bartson (that is Hayes Ave.) Turn Right (East). Go down straight thru the light (there is a car wash on the corner) Anjulina's is just past it on your left (tan color building) It's .68 miles from the track. If you go over a set of rail road tracks you went to far.

There's no such thing as 'too early' and we hope this information will aid you in finding your weekend lodging.

R.E.A.R.

jeff van arsdale
Vintage Karting items owned: None

Post by jeff van arsdale » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:44 am

I'm all in!!! After dreaming about THE BIG ONE for 3 years now, I finally pulled the trigger and have my reservations also at the RR Inn in Clyde following Scott Jim and Franks lead! Thanks for posting the info, it was inspireing to say the least I cant wait to witness THE MECCA OF VINTAGE KARTING and perhaps its most prestigious event. I look forward to roaming the pits and meeting all the biggest names and the not so biggest names of this fabled sport of yesteryear revisited AT THE BIG ONE 2015, The Holy Grail of vintage karting is almost upon us!
YEEHAI, Jeff Van Arsdale Costa Mesa, Ca.
760 518 1227

REAR

Post by REAR » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:47 am

Jeff,

Great to hear your making the trek east, that's a real commitment to the hobby.

Make sure you stop by the R.E.A.R. booth and introduce yourself and remember if theirs anything we can assist you with don't hesitate to ask.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 am

Don't expect a big bang of pomp and circumstance! TBO is as laid back and "everyday folks" as an event can be, and that's the way we like it to be. Aside from the drawings for merchandise and the Saturday night banquet, it's a bunch of ordinary kart guys and gals driving, yacking, eating and wandering around looking and buying. Rob Voska and Bob Kurkowski have worked for years to make it the no-pressure event that it is. They always do a wonderful job. They deserve all the credit and applause we can give them. Ted

jeff van arsdale

Post by jeff van arsdale » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:44 am

Thank You very much, I appreciate your invitation. I will indeed stop by your booth and say hello.
Ted, You can downplay if you wish, but it's people like you, Jim Donovan, Frank Weir, Scott Knissel and so many others that were actually doing this back in the early days of Karting that makes these reunions so special as well as some of the rest of us that had a tiny taste as a kid and only recently rediscoverd the sport and are trying to rediscover what we enjoyed briefly back in the day, as well as those that never karted and joined the ranks for the first time as adults.I remember Rob Voska s Blue fox kart on ebay some 3 years ago. It was my first awakening that there actually were vintage karts still around some 50 plus years later holy cow! And even more memorable was the last and final GERITOL LUNCHEON a few years back at Adams Riverside El Torito Restaurant. I was Just scratching the surface of this vintage Karting when I was encouraged by a known show winner at riverside who will remain nameless except to say he won the peoples choice award seen on utube video and it was a yellow Caretta Mc 10. I was a rookie if there ever was one in a room jammed full of old pros with vintage karting elite Names like Pearson, Ives, McCulloch engineer and karting champion Jimmy Yamani, O'Hara and so many more including the Chatinooga Choo choo, The real shocker for me was when Faye Pearson took the microphone at one point during the proceedings and invited all past karting champions to please stand up and be recognized, and nearly half the room stood up! That was an experience I will NEVER FORGET. I've heard so many good things about THE BIG ONE and knowing that this event is rear engine only tells me all I need to know and that is that I've truly found VINTAGE GOLD!
Last edited by jeff van arsdale on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:40 am

Jeff, I NEVER downplay TBO. It's the prime rear engine event in the world today, and everyone there knows how much we all love it. I'm just saying that while some events ballyhoo their celebrity participants and there's a lot of pagentry, at TBO there is none of this. TBO is about celebrating the karts, enjoying your friends and new acquaintences and just having a laid back good time. TBO is where you sit down and eat your Lee's Chicken lunch with Duff or Lynn or Terry or Frank and they're just "the guys". Rob and Bob have striven to make it that way, and the vast majority of we who attend wouldn't have it any other way! You'll enjoy your 2+ days there, and we'll all be glad to welcome you. Charlie Craibe and I always try to pit along with Al Klusman and Jack Canady, down next to the Port-A-Potty and the "cooler tree" at the south end of the main pit area. Look for Charlie's bright orange Bug Scorpion and my purple Swoopster. Stop by and chat! Ted

jeff van arsdale

Post by jeff van arsdale » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:28 am

I sure will Ted,
Looking forward to it. Its been a long time coming!
Jeff