61 bug kart

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

paul pollaccia

61 bug kart

Post by paul pollaccia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi all, I have a brother that has a 1961 bug kart. He does not have a computer so unable to ask the forum any questions. he wanted to know what was the original motor that came on this kart? Second question, did this kart have trailing or leading arms? And last he was considering putting the 820 west bend on this kart. He want sto put the motor where the drive shaft is on the right hand of kart. If sitting in kart it would be on his right. Does anyone know what model motor would hook up, and is a new motor mount required? Does anyone ave a picture of the original motor mount? You guy,s have really been a big help to me. Thank you paul

ted johnson

Re: 61 bug kart

Post by ted johnson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 am

Hi, Paul. Is this a Wasp model (narrow steering hoop flared at the bottom to meet the main rails, live axle with swing engine mounts)? If it is, then it could be ordered from Bug with any American 2 stroke kart engine. Duals were also available. If there are no engine mounts currently on the chassis, try asking on REAR for one. The engine can be mounted either left or right, or with a little ingenuity, center mounted. The spindle steering arms are toward the front, and the kart used a drag link/tie rod setup. An 820 will be no problem, but a brake upgrade might be wise. Ted

paul pollaccia

Post by paul pollaccia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 am

I will give brother call and find out, i do know for a fact that it s an original kart. The current motor mount has two bearing.
His spindle arm face him when he is in the kart. thanks

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi, Paul. If the kart is really a '61 Bug, and the spindle arms are toward the driver, then they have been turned around by someone. My pop was a Bug dealer back then, and both he and I had '61 Wasps. he also had a '61 Scorpion, and they all had their spindle arms facing forward. The swing mount uses (2) self-aligning bearings mounted in (2) hole flangettes. You may position the mount wherever there is a holddown point on the frame. It may be that Ron Cubel would have an extra mount or other parts for sale from his hoard. Good hunting! Ted

paul pollaccia

Post by paul pollaccia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:24 pm

I,am going to get himto send me some pictures so i can post. Tommy the owner of kp mfg. told my brother he had a 61, i don,t know the model though. I will try to post pic of it..thanks again

Ray Kelley

Post by Ray Kelley » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 am

Hi Paul,
Kick me an email sometime about your brother's kart........my '61 Wasp has a few upgrades but could answer some questions for you. I had spoken with Tommy a few years back when I was restoring this kart, he had verified it was an actual '61 dual eng model (the pads are authentic). Neat guy and sure likes to talk about these old warhorses!
Ray at kelley4four@msn.com .

Here's a quick pic of it now, running the screaming Mc10 replica I just finished.

best to all,
Ray
Attachments
S44A 1-08 copy.jpg
(45.68 KiB) Downloaded 113 times