Before Karts: History and Quiz

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Jack Gesler
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp - Bug - Lancer - Hartman

Before Karts: History and Quiz

Post by Jack Gesler » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:25 pm

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x103 ... Indy51.jpg

I'm kind of a Forrest Gump of karting. Above is a photo of the 1951 Viking Traiiler Special at Indy. My father was the manager of Viking Trailer Company and I would spend my weekends at the plant playing with the Indy car and Midgets the owner had. At the left is a photo of me and a future USAC Midget National Champion in the car built for us to drive around the factory. It was painted to match the Indy car. From this was made a single seat version of his Offy Midget. The owner "Doug Caruthers" then built a paved banked track for us to drive the quarter scale midgets. Others wanted copies and production began in 1953. From this the modern Quarter Midget Association was started. Others began making copies. A Mr. Ingles was assigned to make copies of the Viking 1/4 Midget and decided to make a stripped down version in 1956.

Questions:
1. The track was called the Jelly Bean Bowl, where was this located and what attraction was built on the property in 1956?

2. Bonus Question: Who is driving me around the factory?

PRIZE: Mint copy of "Karting: Fun on Four Wheels" published in 1967 with 32 full color pages of early karts.
[url]http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x103 ... ingFun.jpg[/img]

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Re: Before Karts: History and Quiz

Post by Dean Seavers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:24 am

Hey Jack-

I'll take a shot. I'd guess that the Jelly Bean Bowl lies somewhere deep beneath Tomorrowland at Disneyland.

I'm shootin' blanks with the bonus question, but I'll take a stab and say Lonnie Caruthers.

Dean

Jack Canaday
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960 Canaday Special

Post by Jack Canaday » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Doug Caruthers sold the property to Disney for the parking lot of Disneyland.
Jimmy Caruthers was your driver I think. He was the older brother of Danny. Both were really good midget drivers . Jimmy lost out to cancer in early 70's. He also won USAC championship the same year.
Danny won same championship in 71. Thier couson Lonnie was I think a quarter midget champion. But not Usac champion.
Thanks for bringing back old memories.
Jack Canaday

Jack Gesler
Vintage Karting items owned: Rupp - Bug - Lancer - Hartman

Post by Jack Gesler » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Both Winners....
I am kind of suprised that I made it too easy. Email me your address' and I will send you both a copy of "Karting,: Fun on four wheels"
The track was located about 100 yards North of the Matterhorn. It existed for several years after Disneyland was built, as it was located on the backside from the main entrance and parking lot. I would show up eary and when they opened the back gate for the animals, we would sneek in. Doug Caruthers Leased only some of the property to Disney to start with. Jimmy Caruthers is driving as Danny was still in diapers. Art Ingles working at Kurtis Kraft building "Big" cars decided to build a simple version without body, suspension, etc. This became the first Kart. If you look at the rear of Kart 1 you will see that it is similar to a Viking 1/4 midget.

Doug's brother. Red Caruthers started the VW powered Midget craze and his son Lonnie drove these, but was not nearly as sucessful as his cousins. I did not like driving Midgets, so Red gave me a SCCA H Sports Racer built by Bill Stropp to drive. Karts were faster and more fun, so I worked with George Follmer on his Lola T-70 CanAm car instead.