Just for looks.

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay
User Agreement: Yes

Just for looks.

Post by Dominic Salvato » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Can't run it without a secondary brake at sanctioned vintage kart events. Forced to run it at sprint kart events, where it's in everybody's way. Could raise the gears easy, but, Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHDc59DP48

Bob Cornwell
Vintage Karting items owned: Hmm only hotsaws so far

Re: Just for looks.

Post by Bob Cornwell » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Good lookin' machine Dom

REAR

Post by REAR » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Dominic,

You need to contact the track where you hope to run your kart and ask for their specific rules regarding equipment specifications. Your kart may be perfectly legal to run with your local organization.

Word of caution from a guy who has run enduro karts and been on track with the plastic bodied modern aero wonders. Please think real hard before you go out and risk getting the gas tanks on your kart smashed in by some non-driving Nascar wantabe. You have a rare pristine kart that you do NOT want to get torn up through no fault of your own.

Merry Christmas...R.E.A.R.

Dominic Salvato
Vintage Karting items owned: Caretta's, Darts, Lancers, Bug, Cates, Customs, Margay

Post by Dominic Salvato » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 pm

My first thought was to go to a chrome fan cover, but I didn't want to destroy this decal unless I could replace it.
Never heard of these guys but I'm curious. Any one?

The rod, crank and internal block are highly polished. Of course it has all the modifications.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:11 am

Hyprode was pretty popular in the early sixties. They're mostly known for their billet aluminum Mac roda with the steel insert for the rod needles. I used one in my stroked Mc10, because the '10 rod was fragile. They did engine mods, too. TJ

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:18 am

Speaking of fragile rods... that's a 10 type rod in the engine shown in the photo. Since the crank has had extra weights added on I would guess the engine is bored way over size and has a big=heavy piston hanging on the other end of that rod.
That's a bad combination... a heavy piston on the weakest rod McCulloch ever sold in a kart engine.
If you run that thing you want to limit the top rpm to not more than 11,000 and even that is a stretch... pun intended. LOL
It would be great if you could find a Hyprode rod like Ted used to go with the sticker.
They turn up on ebay once in a while.
SteveO

Dominic Salvato

Post by Dominic Salvato » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Could be.