Terrible News - APS closes

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

Terrible News - APS closes

Post by REAR » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Just got word from a very reliable source that American Power Sports has closed its doors for the last time.

Stan Kovalak the owner of APS has been a personal friend for over 40 years dating back to when he worked at Wiseco and this is a very unforunate thing to happen to one of the truely nice guys in the hobby.

I would like to wish Stan the best in whatever endeavors he pursues and Thank him for all of the support he has offered to Rear Engine American Racers every year since its inception.

Bob Kurkowski

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Terrible News - APS closes

Post by Dick Teal » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:22 am

Bob,

I will miss them. I always got great service and delivery from them.

I will be at TBO this year. Looking forward to the event.

Dick Teal

REAR

Post by REAR » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Dick,

It really is a shame that such a good friendly shop had to close but with the current state of the economy I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this unfortunate occurance.

Great to hear your going to make it back next year, we'll have your pit spot waiting.

We all know your a 'Bender' guy but after hearing all the trash talking going on between some of the Clinton guys last year you may want to put a Clinton together and join in their fun. Hmmm.... I can't remember if they were arguing over who was going to be the fastest or the slowest. LOL!!

Bob

Mike Anderson
Vintage Karting items owned: SAE karts (2)
Rathman xterminator (3)
margay cheetah dual (1)
Blackstone Special (1)

Post by Mike Anderson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:12 pm

What a shame, was nice to have a business with quick and knowledgeable service to help us old karters. Hopefully they will do well in their next venture. See everyone soon, it is starting to be too cold for me. Looking forward to the summer vintage karting season. Especially the Big One.
Later Mike

Dick Teal
Vintage Karting items owned: 1959 Mak-Kart, 1960Fox 60L, 1961 Fox (2), 1962 Fox, 1963 Fox, 1964 Fox, Margay New Breed

Post by Dick Teal » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:50 am

Bob,

Those Clinton guys are having too much fun. I'm not sure the engines are Clinton any longer since they have ball and needle bearings, big carbs, etc.

My problem is finding another Fox dead axle kart with a Clinton to fix up. Maybe I can Talk Chris M. into using one of his.

I just picked up another very nice 1961 Mak-Kart in Florida. I was thinking about a Mercury/Diston saw engine for it. Any idea where I could find one? The other option could be a Standun or similar engine. I want to do something different this time.

I will bring my collection of 820's including three stroked engines with girdles to show and run. The first is a 9.1ci and it is bad fast for a single.

Florida for the winter including my trailer; should be fun again.

Dick

REAR

Post by REAR » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Dick,

Can't help you on the Mercury/Diston but I think I can help you on the Fox-Clinton Dead Axle.

Let me get back to you.

Bob

Gene Luzader
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 Simplex Challenger Twin West Bend 820's

Post by Gene Luzader » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 pm

With the loss of APS is there a kart parts supplier that REAR would
recommend. I will really miss APS as a parts supplier.
Gene Luzader

REAR

Post by REAR » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:36 am

Gene,

You should be able to go to Azuza Engineering directly at http://www.azusaeng.com and order most of your vintage chassis components and Cheng Chin tires and tubes.

For modern kart components I'm in the same boat as you since I have used APS exclusivley over the years and I'll have to find a new modern parts source myself to deal with.

Bob

Gene Luzader
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 Simplex Challenger Twin West Bend 820's

Post by Gene Luzader » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 am

Bob
For my new CRG Tag kart I deal with Acceleration Kart Racing out
in Las Vegas. A few years ago they gave a super deal on the kart and
I get all my tech help from them.
Gene

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Dick,
I have a VERY NICE Disston 2 cylinder saw powerhead. Complete. Wanna talk about it? Send me an email.