TBO Special Bonus winners

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

REAR

TBO Special Bonus winners

Post by REAR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:07 am

Each year at THE BIG ONE we have daily Saturday and Sunday free raffles for the events drivers along with a special BONUS raffle on Sunday and this year was no exception however we had a very much appreciated twist.

On Saturday, Chuck GiaCobbe from Strokerace Ebay sales donated a complete running Clinton powered kart to be raffled away and we did just that. After the kart was raffled to 3 or 4 older gentlemen who felt the kart was just too high powered for their driving skills and graciosly declined it we decided to have a special raffle just for the young folks in attendance.

One by one we handed out raffle tickets to 6 or 7 young fellows and the look on their faces was priceless, there was everything from full face grins to the look of sheer terror and when the winning ticket was drawn, 8 year old Jack Sullivan of Georgia was the winner of the kart.

The Sunday bonus of a super nice auto jack and accessory package donated by Don Thompson was won by Dean Scarborough of Ohio.

We cannot say it enough, THANK YOU to Chuck and Don and everyone else for your generous donations to this years raffles.

R.E.A.R.

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Re: TBO Special Bonus winners

Post by Russ Smith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 am

Is that an old Billbrook? I haven't seen one of those in many years.

Brian Thomas
Vintage Karting items owned: 61 Simplex MKII , 61 Fox Mak , 61 Fox , 67 Lancer,74 Kobra, Gokart 400, Unknown
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Brian Thomas » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Like "they say" Ya did good ..
Brian , Dottie and Shadow Thomas
Black Dog Vintage Racing
http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
If there isn't a Black Dog hair in the bag it's not a Black Dog product
"Black Dog" ask for it by name

REAR

Post by REAR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Russ,

Sure loks like a Billbrook. Its really a pretty cool kart and she is a runner.

R.E.A.R.

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

It is certainly a Bilbrook. I was the last of "the older gentlemen"(!) to win the kart, and I was also too scared of that raw power to drive it. I think Rob and Bob's idea of getting it into the hands of a younger person was exactly the right thing to do with the fire-breathing monster! Ted

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 am

Ted, a wise idea. Cultivating the "addiction" in young people will keep the hobby growing. And, us old farts really should stay away from such powerful machines..............

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I agree , its way to much power for us 'Older Gentlemen" .I was one of the drawing winners who passed it on .Glad Ted came up with the 12 and under drawing !

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Young Jack Sullivan actually lives in Hamilton Ohio. Anybody running at recent Camden events might have seen him there. He was tickled pink about winning the kart and he is helping his dad restore that beauty.
Somehow I was elected to restore the Clinton A490 that is on it. Timing is everything - when I pulled it apart, the rod bolts were loose. A few more laps and the restoration might have been a little more difficult!
My thanks to Chuck GiaCobbe and to TBO! A good time was had!

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Russ and Chris, it wasn't my idea, but Rob and Bob's. I merely suggested we should do something beneficial with the machine. I think their solution was the very best possible. I'm glad young Jack is happy with the kart. Ted

jeff sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 1958 Bug clone

Post by jeff sullivan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:42 pm

I also would like to personally thank Chuck for donating this old Bilbrook and all of the folks involved. I am happy to say that Jack is thrilled to have this Kart and has finally used his new tools he has been collecting.

So far Jack and I have disassembled the kart and cleaned it. It is surprisingly original down to almost every nut and bolt and it was in really great shape.

The motor is being restored by Jack's great uncle Terry and I think Peewee is going to be able to reproduce the original sticker since it is almost illegible.

I am going to repair a couple of welds and repaint the kart. My question is does anyone recall if there were other colors available on Bilbrook karts? As much as I love the Caterpillar yellow/red combination I was wondering if there was something different that would still be correct.