accurate paint color for mccullochs

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

david a luciani
Vintage Karting items owned: gk800 -r1 -gilson excalibar -rupp concept dual,concept,Cheetah ll, panther -Bug
User Agreement: Yes

accurate paint color for mccullochs

Post by david a luciani » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:08 pm

hi, i'm getting ready to paint or powdercoat various mcculloch motor parts.
As i have alot of parts some will be for sale when they're done.
i know that a close color match is a necessary for anyone restoring their motors so i'd like to get it right the first time. .

two questions
1.what paint companies make a match or close match to the original mcculloch yellow.
2. what powdercoat company make a match or close match.
thanx dave

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Re: accurate paint color for mccullochs

Post by Dan Flanders » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:48 am

Hi David-
Check over in the engine section under McCulloch and you will find several recommendations for spray paint matches.
Personally, I've used Rustoleum Sun Burst Yellow and it seems to be pretty close. Make sure to use a white primer underneath, it will make the yellow really pop.

Dan

Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:05 pm

If anyone is in the mood to spend a lot of $$$ for paint, Dupont makes a perfect match for the McCulloch yellow except for the gloss. It has more shine than the old Mc paint. It matches the color of my old motors and NOS parts when looked at in sunlight. The color is "Shell Yellow". It's a Cessna airplane color according to the label on my cans. I bought it in urethane enamel, but you may be able to get it in other paint systems, especially if you live somehwere other than California. The Imron 5000 I bought was right at $140 per 3/4 quart. The remainder in volume for a full quart will be the activator. That cost $126 for a full quart. Imron stands up very well to the kart fuels I've exposed it too. The Imron seems to cover well. I'd advise using a light colored primer. This paint is a better match than any of the spray can paint that I tried from the list others have used, but that closer color match isn't cheap. I used it because I wanted the R1 sprint I painted to match the engines exactly. I don't know for sure that the R1 paint originally matched the engines, but I assumed it did.

Michael

jmendoza
Vintage Karting items owned: Dart A-Bone, HumBug, Macs and a Blender, Panthers.

Post by jmendoza » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Rustoleum also sells an industrial version or their enamel in spray cans, I found it at a paint store and it matches nicely, maybe a bit glossier though. Having improved results with adhesion by using a chromate or oxide based etching primer as the Macs use a pretty high magnesium content alloy, which needs a good primer to prevent the paint bubbling due to oxidation of the metal beaneath it. This is more of an issue with age, you'll see the problem after a period of time.