Article - IKF Hall of Fame / Expert, Bob Dempsey

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Scott Elkes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch Mc92
User Agreement: Yes

Article - IKF Hall of Fame / Expert, Bob Dempsey

Post by Scott Elkes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 am

I shared this story on the Vintage Kart Forum as well.

I don't know if Bob ever raced at Fremont. In 1964, there was a contingent of Toledo Crescent Raceway racers that went down for Fremont's 1964 Race Season Opening day.

A Toledo Blade Newspaper (Toledo, OH) recently written about Bob Dempsey. For the forum members that have seen my 1960s home movies on YouTube and Vimeo, the name may be familiar to you. Bob was in two of the movies. I thought you would enjoy reading the article. Bob's 1965 season was almost near perfect like his 1968 season the article described. At Nationals, in his 1st heat, he took second; remaining heats 1st.

http://m.toledoblade.com/sports/2013/07 ... prise.html

Scott Elkes

louie figone
Vintage Karting items owned: Single/twin 67 Chaparrals
69 A bone/Model J/62 Fox
WB/820s/610s/580V5
PP58/61/82/KL100

Re: Article - IKF Hall of Fame / Expert, Bob Dempsey

Post by louie figone » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am

Scott, Thanks for the article and update on Bob, I ran against him in '67 at Riverside Nationals. Needless to say he was in front of me.

Louie

Scott Elkes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch Mc92

Re: Article - IKF Hall of Fame / Expert, Bob Dempsey

Post by Scott Elkes » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 am

Louie, Thanks for sharing that. Crescent Raceway's (Toledo, OH) Jim Vail, Sr. called and offered me to race their 1967 Margay, B Limited WB 820 at the 67 Riverside Nationals. I missed I.K.F.'s age requirement by around six weeks. I recently learned at this years TBO that sometime after, IKF changed the timing and under those updated rules, I would have been able to race that event. Mr. Vail's call was my last contact with the karting sport until the 2011 REAR's TBO. While still looking for a vintage kart, I did find a nice TaG / 125cc kart to hold me over and allow me to attend to the unfinished business of having FUN with a kart.