Moderator: Rob Voska

Dennis Detweiler
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Simplex
1974 Margay Concept Sprint
1984 Margay SR-16
Mc91b1

Removing Bendix & Gear From Starter

Post by Dennis Detweiler » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm building a starter as in the Tech Article link. The Honda automotive starter gear and bendix spring outter shaft looks to be 3/4". Is it feasable to mount the 3 inch belt pully on this, thus still keeping the Honda gear and bendix spring intact? Or, should it be removed down to the 1/2' shaft? What is involved in removing it? I must be easy to remove because I can't detect how it's fastened to the 1/2" shaft? :~)
Thanks

REAR

Re: Removing Bendix & Gear From Starter

Post by REAR » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Dennis,

Remove everything down to the shaft if you can then mount your pulley.

Remember as stated earlier keep enough clearence in the belt gaurd so the pulley can spin freely of the belt without tension but not fly off of the pulley and you should be hooked up.

Good luck with your build and keep us informed of your progress.

R.E.A.R.

P.S. Check the R.E.A.R. Guidelines for whats what at THE BIG ONE 2008 !

Jeff Campbell
Site Admin
Vintage Karting items owned: 1961 Fox Go-Boy MC20's
Robron Chaparral dual MC101
Margay Cheetah MKIII

Post by Jeff Campbell » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:20 pm

....its been so long since I built my starter, I can't remember how that gear comes off the Prelude starter motor, I think I had to grind away at it to get it off the spline shaft its mounted on. It's OK to over grind when taking that gear off, since you probably want to put a flat on that 1/2" shaft to tighten your pulley set screw on. To get the shaft to stay out (the bendix pushes the shaft out when the motor is turned on), carefully take the cover off, there is a spring on the shaft that pulls the shaft in, simply remove it and put the cover back on.

FYI - for those building one of those 2 wheeled kart starters, if you have a Big Lots store nearby, the one near me had a ton of 2 wheel moving dolly carts, real small ones the size of a Kart starter, for only $15.

Jeff

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:29 pm

If you look close you can see the pully's thru bolted.