It was me!

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs
User Agreement: Yes

It was me!

Post by Terry Sullivan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 am

I was the dummy that crashed at TBO Sunday.
I had my hand raised and I was headed into the pits. Next thing I know, I am upside down!
Maybe I lost my balance, or maybe my brakes grabbed?
I didn't get to check the kart, because I was air-lifted to Toledo.
I Wound up with a few broken bones, several cracked ribs and a collapsed lung.
I'll be back if Rob and Bob will have me.

t

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Re: It was me!

Post by steveohara » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 am

Terry,

Sorry to hear you had a big "moment" at the Big One. Hope you didn't suffer serious injuries and you heal up soon!
No matter what your experience or skill level, even a relatively slow vintage kart can still bite you when you least expect it. A few years back Tom Smith was kind enough to let me take his Bonanza out for a few laps at Bakersfield and I was buzzing around and really enjoying a great handling kart and then in an instant I was upside down!!! No other karts involved, didn't hit anything, didn't leave the track surface and it happened at the slowest corner on the track. All it took was getting surprised by the movement of some guys out in the infield on a golf kart... I had the kart in a nice slide when the golf kart caught my attention, lifted when I should have stayed on the gas and hooked the inside front wheel on the rumble strip lining the inside of the corner and I was over before I could even spit out a good expletive LOL
I still feel bad about messing up Tom's beautiful kart:-(
Get well and back to the track soon.
Steve O'Hara

REAR

Post by REAR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 am

Terry,

Great to hear that you are on the the road to recovery.

Thanks also for posting your first hand account of your shunt and quieting the magpies.

As for a return to TBO, ABSOLUTELY ! We are honored to have people like you and your family in attendence.

R.E.A.R.

stephen wooley
Vintage Karting items owned: 1963 fox flyweight
1963 bug sprint
1959 go kart 800

Post by stephen wooley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 am

terry ,I am so glad your ok , I was the guy parked beside you trying to help you get your kart running, my wife will be relieved to here your ok also, she was quite worried ,get well see ya next year ,steve

Chris Marchand
Vintage Karting items owned: to daggone many

Post by Chris Marchand » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 am

Terry, Get well quickly and Thanks for getting on here and tellin what happened. Chris

Gary Wlodarsky
Vintage Karting items owned: Hornet SS, Dual Hornet
Expert II , Invader single and a dual, Rupp 301D,

Post by Gary Wlodarsky » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 am

Terry,,,get well...we'll see you guys at B Ville...hey,,was the little guy Jacob in your group..7 year old in a red driving suit).I have a couple of pictures os him and would like to forward ...

gary

Terry Sullivan
Vintage Karting items owned: 4 Bugs, including the Wasp bought by my Dad in 1959. Many Clintons and a few Macs

Post by Terry Sullivan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 am

Gary,
Thanks - that was my great nephew - Jack Sullivan. He was practicing his 'blocking' all weekend - haha!
You should see him on a golf kart! You can email pictures to me at terryas@att.net.

t

Russ Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 59 BugWasp; 60 GoKart800; Simplex: 60 MKII, 62 MKVI; 69 BugStinger; 67 LilIndian Minibike.

Post by Russ Smith » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:05 am

Hey Terry, VERY sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get well soon.
Russ

Gary Wlodarsky
Vintage Karting items owned: Hornet SS, Dual Hornet
Expert II , Invader single and a dual, Rupp 301D,

Post by Gary Wlodarsky » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 am

Terry,,,for 7 years old I thought he was doing one heck of job,,,and,,,he didn't go over...opps ..had to..LOL...

gw

Scott Elkes
Vintage Karting items owned: McCulloch Mc92

Post by Scott Elkes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Terry Sullivan wrote:Gary,
Thanks - that was my great nephew - Jack Sullivan. He was practicing his 'blocking' all weekend - haha!
You should see him on a golf kart! You can email pictures to me at terryas@att.net.

t
Warning! Some videos contain scenes of modern-day karts! He! He!

Hi Terry,

I was at TBO Saturday, but not on Sunday. I learned of your unfortunate accident from Kit Henry when I was at Fremont Raceway Park https://www.facebook.com/FremontRacewayPark?filter=2 Wednesday for practice with my TaG 125 kart ( taken earlier this year, https://vimeo.com/66982290 ).

I had a no contact, single kart flip in a race back in 1964 coming out of a banked turn. While my dad attended to my injuries after the 1st race (I continued and finished the heat), the other dads and friends attended to my kart. They rapidly were able to determine what happened. They looked at axle and engine mounting positions and found the axle perfectly centered to the kart. I was 14 and had completely disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled improperly, my kart for the first time prior to that race date. It never occurred to me to measure the rear axle position--always thought it was centered. They shifted the axle off-center to the left, can't remember amount, on my right-handed Mac 7/9, 1963 Dart Grand Prix. That corrected the problem and finished 3rd overall that night. Something to consider when checking your kart.

I did shoot this on TBO Saturday - It will make you smile (not laugh) which includes Jack. https://vimeo.com/73545678

I also have other kart racing videos on Vimeo.com (and YouTube, a promotional piece for FRP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtTf_lh12s ) which have been well received and help pass the time if you need a kart / kart racing fix during your recovery.

Wishing you and family all the best,

Scott Elkes
60skart@gmail.com
Last edited by Scott Elkes on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.