Mac extra porting !!!

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

mcbob
Vintage Karting items owned: Everything Mac but a Kart but who know's ?

Re: Mac extra porting !!!

Post by mcbob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:52 am

Well Steve and Gordon i recall i'm sure that on the old forum the were some comments made about a supercharged Mac Kart that done dirt track oval races and did very well but it didn't last to long motor wise maybe some-one else may recall these comments or story i don't think it would have be related to the pic i put in this thread but i'm not sure.

Mc Bob.

Bill Johnson

Post by Bill Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:10 am

Mark Bergfelt of the UAS is running a leaf blower hooked to his 125cc Sudam on dirt ovals with sucess. He had to work out the lag issues. You can contact him for info at info@bergfeltracing.com
MacDaddy

Dan Flanders
Vintage Karting items owned: Pimped out Yerf-Dog with 22" spinners
User Agreement: Yes

Post by Dan Flanders » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Leaf blower induction!!!!!!!!!!
Now that is American ingenuity for you! Leave it up to those dirt kart guys to figure out a way to go faster :D
Must have one hell of a long extension cord or has he gone cord-less? :D

Hey Bill, are you headed to Savannah in February?

Gordon Duax
Vintage Karting items owned: Lots!

Post by Gordon Duax » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm

steveohara wrote:Gordon,

Please post the pics
Regards,
Steve O'Hara
Here you go....
Over all length is 7.25"
Width is 5.375"
Height from inlet to outlet 4.3"
The 4 bolt inlet & outlet flanges makes it easy to fabricate custom mounts for manifolds, and carbs.

The drive pulley diameter is 2.18"
But could be changed out to a cog belt drive quite easily.
Max input rpm = 15,000
Should not be a problem since it is way larger than the typical kart / saw engine engine,
and would have to be under driven (turned slower than crank speed).

Bill Johnson

Post by Bill Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Dan, Yes... you will find me at the track or Ed's S Bar & Grill
MacDaddy

Tom Davis

Post by Tom Davis » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:10 pm

Gordy,
Does the Outlet bolt pattern match a T72 reed block, Or is that just a optical illusion?? :twisted:
TD

Gordon Duax

Post by Gordon Duax » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:02 am

Tom Davis wrote:Gordy,
Does the Outlet bolt pattern match a T72 reed block, Or is that just a optical illusion?? :twisted:
TD
Don't know, never had a T72............
But I doubt it.

steveohara
Vintage Karting items owned: 1969 Bug Sprint Mc 91B1
1965 Dart Gran Prix twin Mc100s
1963 Bug Scorpion ESll Mc45

Post by steveohara » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:23 am

Gordon,

Forced induction increases HP by introducing a charge into the cylinder that is at a higher pressure than atmosphere. The design works in a 4 stroke due to the cylinder being closed except for the intake tract which is under pressure. Reeds or no reeds, high exhaust or low exhaust... none of that matters if you can't trap the pressurized intake charge in the cylinder. A straight exhaust pipe connected to an exhaust port that remains open after the intake tract is closed simply renders the boost in pressure null as it will just flow out the exhaust. Raising the transfer ports or scalloping the piston to keep them open longer will let you pump more charge through but they still have to close leaving the exhaust port open and all the extra pressure is lost unless you have a system on the exhaust side to keep the pressure above atmospheric, as an expansion chamber does to a degree. I could envision an exhaust for a supercharged two stroke that is a long straight pipe with a volume tuned chamber on the end that controls the pressure cycle such that it will remain high until the exhaust closes on the up stroke trapping fresh charge in the cylinder at a higher pressure. It would not need to provide the scavenge function that an expansion chamber offers as the scavenging would be accomplished by the force of the incoming charge rather than inertia and pressure drop as we have in the normal two cycle pipe. It would be an interesting project to mess with but I suspect that it has been tried countless times and abondoned because the gain is not sufficient to justify the complexity of the system.
Now, if we wanted to get real creative we would build a two cycle with the exhaust ports at the very bottom of the cylinder that open for a relatively short duration and feed the intake through an intake valve in the head at the top so the supercharger could pump up the cylinder pressure up after the exhaust closed. Of course, I think that someone has already done that..... I just can't remember where I saw it.
Thanks for posting the picture.... it looks pretty neet but it would work a lot better on a Briggs than a Mac :-(
Regards,
Steve O'Hara

Gordon Duax

Post by Gordon Duax » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 am

What ever..........
All I know is that the currant 125cc, non-streamlined 125cc bike record is held by a guy using one of my blowers on a 2-cycle Honda............
Nothing fancy, no special porting, pipe, etc..
He just put it on, chose a drive ratio to make 3-5 psi boost, and took the record.........
The only problem he ran into was that on the first attempt, he sucked the float bowl dry.
He added a small amount of pressure to the tank, and the problem went away.

Rob Voska

Post by Rob Voska » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 am

Float bowl went dry probably because he was pushing raw fuel right out the exhaust. The pressurized tank didn’t fix the root problem just covered it up.