VKA Web Site Posts

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

VirgLove

VKA Web Site Posts

Post by VirgLove » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am

Is there any truth to Russ Smith's VKA Forum posting that REAR edited his post on this site, or to Pryor's claim that Vince had a posting for the Adams event deleted? Please say it ain't so...

Rob Voska

Re: VKA Web Site Posts

Post by Rob Voska » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am

Sorry Virg it's true, I don't like being called an "arrogant pissant" by someone that has attended 1 event somewhere a few years ago on a free web site that we provide and work hard to keep about old rear engine karts and karting. But I do like being called "THE NICEST GUY IN THE WORLD! " :lol:

This us vs. them crap is just that. We do what we do, have not changed and sure don't plan on changing. We have nothing to do with them or they with us. We aren't going to change because you can't rewrite history and the same old 3-5 guys raise a stink cuz we won't do as they wish. In fact, I went over to the other site and I noticed that NONE of the complainers have ever attended The Big One!

Some of our worst critics who have been around for only a short time, claim to know something about a trail of politics…..how could they and who told them this? Is this what they mean by “helping us”? Again we just don’t care. We do our event “our way” without any help except from the many friends who share the same views and love of old karts as we do. It seems to be working quite well.

The variable karting association is just that. Put together whatever you want, tell everyone it is old, a special prototype, never made production, or whatever. Spun aluminum wheel's, disc clutches, axle clutches, micron gages, 1995 chassis, sticky tires is what is run and approved for their "races". They can't even agree on a cutoff year nor do they enforce anything.

We have turned people away and made them change their equipment to comply. Believe me, it's not fun for us......... :cry: It puts us in a very awkward situation.

This whole deal has come down to some old and bold egos. They want to relive the 1972 nats when their chain fell off and go out and "Win" with more and more modern equipment against a bunch of old, fat, skinny, short, tall, guys with more hair on their backs than on their heads. It’s not about the karts to them. I think its funny no one ever mentions weights or classes or anything. Why these guys don't go "race" at the whole array of classes at any of their local tracks is beyond me.

Maybe a new org should be started. The Old Karters Association. It could be a place for old karters to get together and bench race. But I guess it sounds kinda like the Geritol Gang.

We stand up for old karts and their originality. I have not been to many events that last few years because of both my dad's mess he left me and I have no desire to travel to an event to see a "restored" kart with modern tires, gages, etc...... in fact some of the coolest karts I have seen are "barn fresh". Jeff Campbell’s Fox with MC20’s and Mark Weaverlings Percivel I saw in Vegas comes to mind along with Bill Whitelaw's Simplex, Ron Cubel's Putnik and a whole host of others that I have seen over the years. There are some great restorations out there. John Copelands McCulloch kart was a labor of love. There are so many karts out there that are cool and nicely restored. They may be drivers and not super flashy but they had the correct idea. Everyone is welcome at our events if they comply with the guidelines. If not stay home. Simple! Some people are mature enough to understand that…..and sadly some aren’t.

PS.....It's not an entitlement to be able to post on here it's a privilege.....and some privilege's have been revoked.

Ron Carbaugh
Vintage Karting items owned: Mak Kart, Xterminator, Simplex, McCulloch, West Bend, and other engines from over there.

Post by Ron Carbaugh » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Rob,
Thank you and what is the big deal. You and Bob own the website and go to a lot of Trouble to put on the best get together in the karting World for Vintage Karts. I hope to have things in line where I can make The Big One this year(2000 mile round trip for me). Just keep doing what your doing and if people want to whine, let them whine. I have made Friends here and if they don't agree with my statements that is fine....but don't forget we live in a Country where we should be able to disagree and not go off the deep end. Now that I have said what I said, I think people should decide which websites they need to be on and which ones they need to stay off of with respect to who they call a "arrogant pissant". Thanks for the great website.

Ernie Fisher
Vintage Karting items owned: 1958 Hovey Hawk
Konig Power

Post by Ernie Fisher » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Rob,
It saddens me to see the need for post editing or deleting. I enjoy reading the postings daily, I get a lot out of them, and contribute as much as I can. I realize that this is Your forum and try to respect it appropriately. Although my 1958 Konig powered Hovey Hawk does not meet your guidlines, I can still appreciate your site! I guess that I am one of those "old bench racers" but I cetainly hope the reference to the geritol gang has no reference to the luncheon started years ago by the beloved Earl Larson. I will be attending this years get together again, and truly enjoy seeing many of the wonderful karters of years gone by. Many of these old guys still get a kart around a track in pretty good shape! Hope You can attend.

In short, we all have our personal opinions of each other--some good and some bad, but can only hope the forum is no the place to display!

Ernie

Dean Seavers
Vintage Karting items owned: '66 Chap, '61 Bug Stinger, '61 McCulloch R-1, '60 Go Kart 800, '60 Bug Wasp, '60 Weirdo

Post by Dean Seavers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

Regardless on whether I agree or disagree with the REAR format, the bottom line is the REAR site is Rob and Bob's house. If someone you only knew by name knocked on your front door and came into your living room and started saying disparaging things about you, you'd either ask them to leave or help them leave. I don't see a difference and I think Russ should have known better. For that matter, I know that Vince has been around long enough to know that it seems the REAR folks don't have any intention of joining forces or mending fences with the VKA, so I'm surprised that he even posted a VKA thing over here. That the VKA posts info on the Big One is done on their own volition, and they can choose to pull all the info from their site and newsletters.

I do wish that Ray Kelley would have been given an answer that wasn't sarcastic, because not everyone knows, or realizes the history of the rift between the VKA and REAR, and the fact that REAR came into being because they strongly disagreed with the VKA program and how things were run. The VKA generally runs the same way it always has and REAR hasn't changed since its inception so it's foolish to think anything has changed between the two organizations. Again, whether someone particularly agrees with it or not is beside the point, and you might have a million different reasons that make sense to you why everyone should get along, but it's just not a factor no matter how much you post on the boards about it.

The bottom line with REAR is either hang out, join in, or not. It's never been promoted as anything but two guys doing things the way they want to. If you agree, it's your thing. If not, don't patronize it. I don't understand why folks get so worked up over this and feel like they are owed a voice. It's like anything else- if you don't like the product, don't buy it. It's a waste of energy to complain about it.

There's the NHRA and the IHRA, CART and the IRL, the WKA and the IKF- some folks like one and not the other, some like both, some like neither and go off and do their own thing or decide it's all BS and get out of it completely. It seems those are the choices you have here as well.

Regardless, both REAR and the VKA will live or die based on their merits with the vintage karters.
Last edited by Dean Seavers on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan wauthier
Vintage Karting items owned: a couple of karts
User Agreement: Yes

Post by stan wauthier » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am

I've not been around vintage karting long enough to have knowledge of all of the history between REAR and VKA, but it seems to me there must be a reason that the event that Rob and Bob have held each year on Labor Day weekend at Fremont is referred to as THE BIG ONE.
Health Warning: These posts may contain traces of nut.
Having a blast enjoying the past,
¡sıɥʇ ǝʞı1 dn puǝ ʇ,uop ǝʍ buıʎɐɹd puɐ
Best Regards,
Stan

ted johnson

Post by ted johnson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:56 pm

My Buddy and I Went to Fremont this year for the first time, and we found out why it's "The Big One"! We were treated GREAT by everyone there, and Rob and Bob were the BEST hosts you could imagine. It's hard for me to imagine how much time and hard work they put into this ONE event. I invite those who have "issues" with REAR to come out this year and find out for yourselves! Charlie and I will greet you there. Charlie still has my Bug Black Widow, as well as a couple of my old open LMR engines and an open Atlas 1. Maybe we'll put things back together someday and run Brodhead or other events where sidewinders are allowed - but - REAR, the REAR ENGINE karts and TBO will be the main focus of our vintage kart energy, and if time only allows me to make one event a year, I will drive the 1300+ miles to Fremont 8-) ! Ted

John Greaves
Vintage Karting items owned: 1967 Bug Sprint
Repro Bug Sprint
Repro Dart "A Bone"

Post by John Greaves » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I just read all the posts under this topic, and can't help but throw in my hat with the way Dean Seavers expressed the entirety of situation, expressed as only a superb writer could do. His understanding and level-headed judgments, I have to say, is the most well thought-out presentation on this entire matter. NOW CAN THE TOY THROWING TANTRUMS STOP ?? :x