Thank you from Chuck Balsigers family

Post all your vintage karting messages here in the General Discussion Forum

Moderator: Rob Voska

ScottSpain
Vintage Karting items owned: My step dad Chuck Balsiger's Yamaha 250 "Ichy Ban"
User Agreement: Yes

Thank you from Chuck Balsigers family

Post by ScottSpain » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm Scott Spain, Chuck Balsiger's son. From my family and I may we offer a big Thank You for the fond memories.

I grew up push starting this kart on weekend mornings at various race tracks around Southern California and the Nationals in Vegas. ...dad qualified in the front, so, I'd push like all mighty, she'd light and push methanol and oil through her expansion chambers right into the face of a running kid who is now trying to get out of the way of 30 + other karts heading right for you ...ahhh such fond memories, Thank you again!

I'll take and post more pictures.

Scott and Linda Spain
Attachments
WP_000292.jpg
The man himself. Across the LA river from Harbor Raceway was Ascot Race Track. One night the Aggie (owner) experimented and ran karts on the 1/4 mile dirt. This is Chuck in his glory.
(510.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_000293.jpg
the cup and picture are from the 1960 Nationals. Dad took second but his most beloved trophy of all was the picture for Best Engineered Kart
(521.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_000295.jpg
A true fire breather ...Yamaha used to send dad boxes of raw piston stock
(1.98 MiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_000294.jpg
Dad ...most likely mom, thought the clutch would be a good idea
(1.66 MiB) Not downloaded yet
WP_000040.jpg
She proudly sits at the front of our shop desk
(942.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Tom Smith
Vintage Karting items owned: 1960/61 Go Kart 800 Konig FA
1961 Max-Torque Special triple
1962 Max-Torque Special dual
User Agreement: Yes

Re: Thank you from Chuck Balsigers family

Post by Tom Smith » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Excellent post.

ted johnson

Re: Thank you from Chuck Balsigers family

Post by ted johnson » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Being from the East coast (Florida's Space Coast), we never got to see Chuck run. My pal, Charlie and I helped a local Brevard County young man whose well-to-do pop had had a Go Kart 1200 lengthened behind the seat for a 250 Yamaha engine. We never got the carbs set up properly. It'd howl on top end, but would stumble off the corners. The flatback Mac carbs would've been the answer. I've still got two pix of it before they repainted it after the welding, but they're too big to post here.
Very nice post, Scott! We Easterners were always watching the Yammie Vs. Konig battles. We didn't have any Konig-powered karts locally, but we did have several Konig Micro Midgets that ran well. Ted